Diet harder than exercise

Options
Just frustrated. Adding exercise into my daily routine has been quite easy for me to do, surprisingly. But it's the darn eating part that keeps me from reaching my goals.

I have no problem making sure to run 3 miles a day, but then I can't turn down the ice cream after dinner :(

I get lazy and quit logging my food and then I'm surprised when the scale doesn't move. I need to just buckle down and get it done. Lord knows I'll feel better about having done it when swimsuit season rolls around!

Replies

• Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it!! Willpower is super hard to develop, but it really is all about changing your thinking, and the food changes will come after that. Keep treats as just that- treats. The exercise is awesome, keep that up! It sounds like you know what your big problem is, so fix it! :flowerforyou:
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I do better with the food. I really don't like exercising; I'm more motivated when the scale shows results. When it doesn't, I have to make myself do it. I need to get if over with early in the day; that way, I don't have to think about it all day long.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The diet and exercise is the easy part. It's the will power that matters! Just keep your eye in the prize =)
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same!!

I go to the gym 5 times a week and have no trouble doing 9 classes during those visits. But lately i have been awful with my food. I only log on here to keep my daily log in numbers running. My head is not with it at the moment. Please someone give me some motivational food help!!!!!!

:cry:
  • SpankyBuns
    SpankyBuns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had for a sweet snack the new Fiber One Bars Oats and Chocolate they where yummy and only 140 calories bar (and only 1 point on weight watchers) , the Special K chocolate cereal is also good for the night time sweet tooth...If it's getting to late or my points or calories are to high I just brush my teeth, the mint flavor seems to clear out cravings. Skinny Cow does make some great ice cream. There's lots of options we just have to make the right ones...Good Luck :):wink:
  • ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yeah food use to be the hardest part for me too. Staying active is just fun and i have no problem with that. But once you start seeing results you forget about the food part pretty quick.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I do better with the food. I really don't like exercising; I'm more motivated when the scale shows results. When it doesn't, I have to make myself do it. I need to get if over with early in the day; that way, I don't have to think about it all day long.

Me too! I would rather sit on my bum and eat a celery stick then do a workout. I stuff myself with good stuff all day long so its easier for me to say no to the bad stuff. Replacing sugar with fruit and cooking my own "fast food" meals like tacos and burgers helps me get my fill for the bad stuff but keeps me on track. Good luck!
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    I am exactly the same!!

I go to the gym 5 times a week and have no trouble doing 9 classes during those visits. But lately i have been awful with my food. I only log on here to keep my daily log in numbers running. My head is not with it at the moment. Please someone give me some motivational food help!!!!!!

:cry:

Glad I'm not the only one! And I wish I could give you some motivation, but I need to find some myself.....sigh
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite - modifying my diet has been easy, but exercising is an issue. Here are some food suggestions:
    1. Don't allow yourself to go to bed until you've finished logging for the day - even if you're way over. We all are sometimes. I found it really helpful the first few weeks to just figure out how I ate - the number of calories when, etc... I learned that, like you, I need more calories at night.
    2. Start with simple things. Leave the cheese off your sandwich/burger. Try eating rolls without butter. Instead of putting dressing on your salad, put something on that's flavorful like feta or dried cranberries and see if you really need the dressing. Remember that 2tbls feta has a lot more nutrition than 2 tbls salad dressing, generally.
    3. Portion control is huge. Measure everything you can, whenever you can. And, use smaller plates. Take one portion of whatever is available for the meal and then eat everything on your plate. If you're still hungry, eat more. But, make sure you're really hungry.
    4. If you want ice cream, have it. BUT, one portion, only. Which is generally about 1/2 cup. And, try to plan your calories so that you have them available. This isn't about denial - it's about modifying what we eat in a way that we can live with in order to become as healthy as we can be.
    5. It's been proven that thirst can mimic hunger. Drink lots of water, then drink more.
    6. Think about everything you put into your mouth. The two questions are, is this healthy for me and do I really want it. Again, not about denial here. If you want to eat something that isn't healthy - although almost any real food in moderation - just own it and have it. But think about it so you don't end up blindsiding yourself.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you are running 3 miles a day, a LITTLE ice cream is really not a bad thing. Just do it in moderation.
  • Dremak1
    Dremak1 Posts: 18
    Options
    You could try eating frozen yogurt instead of ice cream or a skinny cow fudge pop. Make better choices and look at the foods you CAN have versus foods you should not have. That way you feel less deprived. You are still getting a treat just a healthier one.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I love to work out and work out hard at that. I run, walk 3 dogs daily, work out with a trainer twice a week, do Insanity videos, etc. but giving up my DQ blizzards is so hard. I noticed that if I've gone up a pound or two I really need to look at what I've been eating. I've maintained my weight loss for over ten years now and for me diet is key. I'm really blessed in that I like to keep active so its not a chore for me.

I also noticed that I can't eat as much as I did in my 20's. I have to watch my alcohol and sugar intake a lot more now.
  • moe5474
    Options
    I'm just the opposite - modifying my diet has been easy, but exercising is an issue. Here are some food suggestions:
    1. Don't allow yourself to go to bed until you've finished logging for the day - even if you're way over. We all are sometimes. I found it really helpful the first few weeks to just figure out how I ate - the number of calories when, etc... I learned that, like you, I need more calories at night.
    2. Start with simple things. Leave the cheese off your sandwich/burger. Try eating rolls without butter. Instead of putting dressing on your salad, put something on that's flavorful like feta or dried cranberries and see if you really need the dressing. Remember that 2tbls feta has a lot more nutrition than 2 tbls salad dressing, generally.
    3. Portion control is huge. Measure everything you can, whenever you can. And, use smaller plates. Take one portion of whatever is available for the meal and then eat everything on your plate. If you're still hungry, eat more. But, make sure you're really hungry.
    4. If you want ice cream, have it. BUT, one portion, only. Which is generally about 1/2 cup. And, try to plan your calories so that you have them available. This isn't about denial - it's about modifying what we eat in a way that we can live with in order to become as healthy as we can be.
    5. It's been proven that thirst can mimic hunger. Drink lots of water, then drink more.
    6. Think about everything you put into your mouth. The two questions are, is this healthy for me and do I really want it. Again, not about denial here. If you want to eat something that isn't healthy - although almost any real food in moderation - just own it and have it. But think about it so you don't end up blindsiding yourself.

Thank you so much for this! This is all stuff that I should know (and do), but I seem to throw everything by the wayside when it comes to eating :(

Here's to getting back on track!
  • moe5474
    Options
    If you are running 3 miles a day, a LITTLE ice cream is really not a bad thing. Just do it in moderation.

So true. But my problem is I pull out the entire container intending to only have a spoonful or two and end up standing there at the counter eating for 10 minutes. Whoops!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options

So true. But my problem is I pull out the entire container intending to only have a spoonful or two and end up standing there at the counter eating for 10 minutes. Whoops!

I hope this doesnt sound rude...but why don't you portion it out into a bowl instead of eating from the carton? Obviously this isn't a perfect fix...I've gone back for a 2nd bowl more times than I care to admit. BBut portion control is super important so I would certainly recommend scooping out a bowl (with a measuring cup so you can accurately judge how much you're really eating).
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, especially lately. I love to exercise in. I exercise at least every morning. On the few times I wasn't able to do it first thing in the morning. I felt like crap.
    Now, eating I still struggle with. Lately, I haven't been able to feel full. I just keep exercising more.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find the opposite to be true for me. I love healthy food and don't like sweets too much so eating healthy most of the time is easy. But, even though I enjoy exercising, I find it very hard to fit it into my schedule. I do it because with a desk job I know how necessary it is, but it is a constant struggle.

If you want ice cream after dinner, have you tried the Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers ice cream bars and sandwiches? They are quite tasty and most are 100 -150 calories each.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Usually you're hungry because your body lacks nutrients....

Don't forget, hunger is your body's survival response. Switch to high protein and fat.

Eat meat with every meal.

TONS of veggies, 1 or 2 servings of fruit a day.

Check out my blog for more info

Wellfitlife.wordpress.com
  • moe5474
    Options

I hope this doesnt sound rude...but why don't you portion it out into a bowl instead of eating from the carton? Obviously this isn't a perfect fix...I've gone back for a 2nd bowl more times than I care to admit. BBut portion control is super important so I would certainly recommend scooping out a bowl (with a measuring cup so you can accurately judge how much you're really eating).

Well, that's my problem. I know good and well it's a horrible idea to eat from the package because you never realize just how much you're eating (whether it's chips or ice cream).

I have just been ignoring all of this knowledge lately. Here's to eating off of actual plates/bowls!
  • moe5474
    Options
    I find the opposite to be true for me. I love healthy food and don't like sweets too much so eating healthy most of the time is easy. But, even though I enjoy exercising, I find it very hard to fit it into my schedule. I do it because with a desk job I know how necessary it is, but it is a constant struggle.

If you want ice cream after dinner, have you tried the Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers ice cream bars and sandwiches? They are quite tasty and most are 100 -150 calories each.

I"ve tried those in the past, but for me they just don't work. Any kind of "diet food" always leaves me feeling like I didn't really indulge. I think I'd rather have 1/2 a cup of the real stuff than 2 skinny cows.

But they are tasty :)