Heavy lifting, but where to start

Options
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some help on a topic that is very popular on these forums.... lifting!

I have been doing cardio and some weights for a while and my weight loss is good, but I am so inspired by the strong beautiful women on MFP who have lost fat, gained muscle and look amazing. The answer to so many people's questions on these forums is 'lift heavy weights', but I'm not 100% sure what this means. Do you replace all cardio with weights? How many different exercises are needed for a full body work out? How often and for how long do you have to lift? How do I know if I'm doing it right?

In my gym, all the men stand in front of the mirrors doing their weights and there is the occassional gorgeous girl with them, but I'm afraid of looking like an idiot, doing everything wrong and injuring myself from lifting. The trainers in my gym are cardio-orientated and not much help.

Any advice would be appreciated (I've asked my other half for the new rules of lifting for women for my birthday, so fingers crossed!)

Thanks guys:smile:

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    New rules will get you in the right direction and answer those questions. Most people, aside from some in a bulk phase, do cardio opposite days of weight lifting.

One exercise is needed for a full body workout: The squat. ;) Soon you will learn the beauty of multi-joint exercises and will laugh at all the barbies standing on bosu balls in the squat rack curling their pink dumbells. After you're done laughing, you'll hit a new one-rep-max squat with 150lbs on your traps.

Two things that are paramount:
    1) START LIGHT. Even if you are SheHulk and can deadlift 300lbs untrained, still start with the naked bar.
    2) FORM FORM, FORM, and FORM.
    PS - FORM.
  • Limajuliet
    Limajuliet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Soon you will learn the beauty of multi-joint exercises and will laugh at all the barbies standing on bosu balls in the squat rack curling their pink dumbells. After you're done laughing, you'll hit a new one-rep-max squat with 150lbs on your traps.

LOL!!!

Ok, so form is obviously important, but I need someone to show me, right? It doesn't seem to be the kind of thing you can get easily from a book.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid looking like you don't know what you're doing, tap a gym staff member to help you learn the form.

Start light, as noted above, empty bar (45 pounds: can be a challenge to the untrained) or lighter non-standard barbell can help.

If anything doesn't feel right (knees heading center on squats, feeling unbalanced, joints complaining) stop, mention it, ask for a modification.

You don't need to start out looking like an olympian. I do my overhead squats standing at the end of a bench and squat til I'm just touching it, then come back up. I just don't trust myself yet to get all the way down without losing my balance/elbows deciding they are done, so I make sure that if I'm going to fail I don't need to worry about the floor.

There's also this lovely series of "from dork to diva" articles and videos on form.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/dork_to_diva
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The big three- squats, deadlifts, and bench press.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid looking like you don't know what you're doing, tap a gym staff member to help you learn the form.

people who work at the gym don't always know how to lift. In fact, in my experience gym employees have some of the worst form/routines I've ever seen.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Soon you will learn the beauty of multi-joint exercises and will laugh at all the barbies standing on bosu balls in the squat rack curling their pink dumbells. After you're done laughing, you'll hit a new one-rep-max squat with 150lbs on your traps.

LOL!!!

Ok, so form is obviously important, but I need someone to show me, right? It doesn't seem to be the kind of thing you can get easily from a book.

Reading to understand the why and hows, then youtube so you know how it should look.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options

people who work at the gym don't always know how to lift. In fact, in my experience gym employees have some of the worst form/routines I've ever seen.
    Hence the "If anything doesn't feel right (knees heading center on squats, feeling unbalanced, joints complaining) stop, mention it, ask for a modification. "

If they cant make a suggestion, I'm guessing that the OP is probably logical enough to seek assistance elsewhere as she's on here looking for information.
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options

In my gym, all the men stand in front of the mirrors doing their weights and there is the occassional gorgeous girl with them, but I'm afraid of looking like an idiot, doing everything wrong and injuring myself from lifting.

The muscle boys aren't as judgmental as everyone seems to think. Mostly they won't even look at you. They will even help out if you ask them.

Any muscle boys out there??? Do you agree with me?
  • Limajuliet
    Options

In my gym, all the men stand in front of the mirrors doing their weights and there is the occassional gorgeous girl with them, but I'm afraid of looking like an idiot, doing everything wrong and injuring myself from lifting.

The muscle boys aren't as judgmental as everyone seems to think. Mostly they won't even look at you. They will even help out if you ask them.

I'm sure they're not all judgemental, but I've heard a couple of the guys in my gym making letchy comments about the 'barbies with the pink dumbells' and that's put me off going near them!
  • wellbert
    Options
    I'm sure they're not all judgemental, but I've heard a couple of the guys in my gym making letchy comments about the 'barbies with the pink dumbells' and that's put me off going near them!

I wouldn't suggest going over to the weight section with your 3lb pink dumbells and doing 10 sets of 10 bicep curls. They will roll their eyes.

However.

You'll get _mad respect_ when you rack some plates on an olympic bar and rip it off the ground with a good-form deadlift - or drop below parallel with some weight on your back. Or shove that bar high in the air over your head.
  • Limajuliet
    Options

You'll get _mad respect_ when you rack some plates on an olympic bar and rip it off the ground with a good-form deadlift - or drop below parallel with some weight on your back. Or shove that bar high in the air over your head.

YES! THIS! :happy:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

So find one who is quietly performing his workout. A simple 'Excuse me, I'm really wanting to start lifting heavier weights, but I don't know how to begin, would you mind helping me out a little?' will get an INSTANT, respectful response from any decent guy.

Louisau...I'm not a muscle boy lol...but you bet I agree.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So find one who is quietly performing his workout. A simple 'Excuse me, I'm really wanting to start lifting heavier weights, but I don't know how to begin, would you mind helping me out a little?' will get an INSTANT, respectful response from any decent guy.

Louisau...I'm not a muscle boy lol...but you bet I agree.

I agree with this. There are women at my gym that hit the squat rack, bench, etc, and I have a lot of respect for them. Unfortunately most of their form could be better but I know that nobody wants somebody to jump in and try to help without being asked first.
  • JNick77
    Options

Hence the "If anything doesn't feel right (knees heading center on squats, feeling unbalanced, joints complaining) stop, mention it, ask for a modification. "

If they cant make a suggestion, I'm guessing that the OP is probably logical enough to seek assistance elsewhere as she's on here looking for information.

I agree with him, most gym trainers are awful. I've seen them teach keeping your knees up and feet in the air while bench pressing, quarter squatting, atrocious clean form, etc. Honestly your best bet is to go to a site like EliteFTS and look up videos there. YouTube has videos called So You Think You Can Bench Press and So You Think You Can Squat (filmed by the EFTS group), etc and you will learn far more from those videos than most trainers.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I think that if you demonstrate that you are serious about lifting and that you care about form, the more knowledgeable lifters will be surprisingly gracious if asked for help. Remember, the guys doing the big compound lifts are often looked at as weird themselves by the bodybuilders focused on isolation exercises. Enjoy your journey!
  • PeterSullivan93
    Options
    3 sets of 8 to 10 reps (struggling to get past 10) once a week, to get and then maintain extra muscle, twice a week to build and gain, 3 times a week to become meathead like ( theres no point in doing this much, your body needs time to rest and your not gonna be able to keep at 3 times a week for a long time or years to come, so why get unnecessary extra muscle)
  • Limajuliet
    Options

The voice of reason! Ok, I'll do a bit of research first so I kinda know what I'm talking about first and then look for that guy quietly doing his workout.... I just hope my husband doesn't get jealous! :wink: :laugh:
  • waldospt
    waldospt Posts: 3
    Options
    Here are a few videos to proper form. Not me, but the person doing the videos does a good job. To answer your basic question "what is heavy?" Heavy is whatever is heavy to you.

Squat- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kzSgz9JIIU
    Bench- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6I0z_d4xqY
    Dead Lift- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vcBQNqfxe8

There are a lot of ways to get stronger. The main way is lowering your rep range. 5-8 reps max on all your lifts. You'll increase your weight to do these lifts.
    A great group to follow is called Girls Gone Strong. You can like their FB page. They post videos all the time and different blogs. They are an incredible group of ladies.
    Hope this helps.
  • Limajuliet
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond! I'm SO excited about this and can't wait to be a powerhouse!! :happy:
  • JNick77
    Options
    3 sets of 8 to 10 reps (struggling to get past 10) once a week, to get and then maintain extra muscle, twice a week to build and gain, 3 times a week to become meathead like ( theres no point in doing this much, your body needs time to rest and your not gonna be able to keep at 3 times a week for a long time or years to come, so why get unnecessary extra muscle)

LOL, what you said? :noway: