Ab muscle pain?

Options
*waves* Hey all.

We started with a trainer last Friday. It was good but the planks and laying on the back while lifting/lowering your legs exercises left my abs hurting. Normal I thought. It's been sore since then but it only really bothers me when I sneeze/cough/do ab stuff.

Tonight we saw the trainer again and he had us do a plank. Shooting freeken pain just to the right of my belly button. I could do a left sided plank but the right side gave the same results. I could do every thing else but those. Now aside from the sneeze/cough/ab workout combo, if I turn and pull on that side, hurts like the ****ens.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'd hate to go to the doctor with something that could be as simple as a pulled muscle. The husband was worried that it was my appendix but that would have me not able to move. I've been treating with ibuprofen and heat. I just REALLY don't want this to set me back.

OH and if there are any other exercises to get the abs while I recover would be AWESOME!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    May be a hernia.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    That's what I was worried about.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a possible hernia. I had my second repair surgery about 3 months ago. Go see your doctor and they will send you for an ultrasound to diagnose. Surgery is quick, but recovery is 2 weeks of near bedrest, and then 2 weeks of very restricted exercise.

ETA: And stop lifting and doing ab work until you see your doctor. Both can make the hernia worse.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Well apt is at 2:50. Here's hoping I just pulled something really good eh?
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I had this a couple of weeks ago- it was a pull and I kept working out with it! All gone now!
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I had a lower left side of my stomach hurt like heck after doing some legs lifts for the abs...it did go away after about a week, and I started doing the exercise again...I would wait a week, don't do any of them and let yourself heal...and mine also hurt when i laughed, sneezed, and coughed...give a week, if it doesn't get better, go to the doctor...
  • lyndseyj89
    Options
    I had this problem the beginning of the week laughing, coughing, sneezing etc all hurt so much put its just pulled muscle. I lay on front lifting self up with arm arching my back which helped it :)