Schmoking !!

Options
ok so i woke up this morning and didn't want a cigarette so i picked up my nico gum and took it to work. i start at like 5.30am. i made my cup of tea and felt ok so i though i would see how long i could last. i realised that my last cig was yesterday at about 7pm so i have done quite a few hours without nicotine. im think hey lets go for it anyways i am going to try and stay off the cigs but would love to hear from people who have also done cold turkey and stayed within there heathy lifestyle.
they say excersise helps but i am confined to my workplace at the moment. when i finish though i think i might go for a run
happy eating everyone!!

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    ok so i woke up this morning and didn't want a cigarette so i picked up my nico gum and took it to work. i start at like 5.30am. i made my cup of tea and felt ok so i though i would see how long i could last. i realised that my last cig was yesterday at about 7pm so i have done quite a few hours without nicotine. im think hey lets go for it anyways i am going to try and stay off the cigs but would love to hear from people who have also done cold turkey and stayed within there heathy lifestyle.
    they say excersise helps but i am confined to my workplace at the moment. when i finish though i think i might go for a run
    happy eating everyone!!

I found that each year, they put more and more addicting stuff in the cigs.
    I'd be able to quit for a week, sometimes even two or alittle more, but, then I'd be right back at it!
    I tried the patches, but, smoked with them, which was a big no no! The only way I could quit was by getting the drug Zyban from my Dr. It REALLY worked! But, I had a friend who tried it and said the side effects, mostly lots of nightmares, was awful, so she couldn't use it.
    Good luck to you in quitting It really IS important to quit, for your health, as well as for your "pocketbook"! :smile:
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me not to have zyban or champix (i forget what they are called) bcause i used to suffer with anxiety and panic and dr said not to take it anyways feel good so far today lets see how long it lasts lol
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I used a tool I like to call "Put It Off". That means, simply, stall your cigarettes. Make the cigarette wait for you, rather than the other way around.

Who's in control of YOU here? You? or a 3.25" long tube of death?

If you put it off (smoking that next cig), you have bought yourself some time, time enough to reason your mind away from the decision to smoke. The time you think about smoking is usually the 'urge' time, so giving yourself a minute or two gives your body time to wait out the urge (cuz it'll pass).

Self talk is also useful during this time. Coach yourself through those moments. I used the time to remember what the inside of my lungs looked like. Remember the PSA ad about the 32 year old smoker, where the doctor actually squeezes FATTY PLAQUE out of the aorta of a heart like a toothpaste tube? Nice visual huh? Take care of YOU... It's YOUR life.

Good luck.
  • chubzee
    chubzee Posts: 104
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT BENJ ! I smoked over 25 years and quit..with the Nic gum. Yes I gained weight that is why I am here. But is is better to be a little over weight than to smoke yourself to an early grave.
    Here is a site that really helped. I am not on there much anymore...but there are lots of people just like yourself , Let me know how your quit goes. Oh yeah...the site.....:laugh: http://www.quitnet.com (and it is free :heart: )
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter. I quit cold turkey last May (2008) and haven't looked back since (I smoked for about 15 years). That was after a zillion times of "trying" to quit before. I realized I got more out of not smoking that I actually got out of smoking. When I really thought about what smoking did for me, the list was very short, and growing shorter ever day since it became more ane more difficult to smoke anywheres anymore and more expensive.

You know you can do it. I love the days that it is pouring down rain and I don't have to go out on my break and have a smoke and smell really bad when I come back in. That was a biggy for me, I hated smelling bad. Or during a snow storm, or trying to find a place to smoke when you go out.

Keep repeating all the things you hated about it, it makes you really appreciate that you are stopping. It takes three days for the nicotine addiction to leave your body, but can take forever for it to leave your head if you let it.

Good luck, I look back now and wonder why I ever smoked. I of course know why because I thought I enjoyed it at the time, or I had myself convinced I did.

I did gain 10 lbs not because I ate badly, I really watched my food after, but, I still replaced the cigarettes I would have smoked at break or dinner with healthy snacks instead, so I was still consuming more food than I did when I smoked. It was inevitable that I gained. But that is behind me now, and now I run 7k five days a week and have the extra 10 is almost off. I never regret quitting, and I will never smoke again. It is so worth it.

p.s. when I quit a thyroid problem also popped up for me, so that added to my difficulty losing the weight.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    thanks everypne all is appreciated. i will keep going
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I just wanted to offer my support to. I quit cold turkey in April and so far so good. I still miss it sometimes but I know the cravings will pass and I feel a lot better already. I was able to give up my inhaler and I can now run 5km! So stick with it. It is definitely worth it.:happy:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I quit on New Years this year cold turkey. What I found was the best thing for me was telling every person I know that I quit, bragging about it really. This way, if I had the temptation (and I did for the first 2 weeks) to smoke, I would think about all of those people I was letting down.

It worked for me, may be worth a shot.