Tooth Fairy

Options
llahairdna
llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
My seven year old son has been at his dad's house this week, and when I picked him up last night, he had lost another tooth (three missing at the moment....). I asked him how much money the tooth fairy left him and his eyes welled up and he said, "Nothing, I lost the tooth before I could put it under my pillow, and my dad said tough luck, I have to have the tooth to get money."

It broke my heart. I gave him a piece of paper and a pen and said, "I'll bet that's happened before and the tooth fairy understands. Why don't you write her a note explaining what happened and see if she leaves you something anyway."

This is what his letter said (and also included a drawing of a tooth):

Dear Tooth Fairy,
I lost my tooth out of my head, but then I lost it again before I could put it under my pillow! Please could you please leave me a dollar anyway?"
Love, David

She left him two dollars. :)

What would you have done?

Replies

• OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I would have done exactly the same thing as you.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Poor little guy! My son had a similar thing happen, he lost a tooth but doesn't know when it came out (he was at school) and didn't have it to put under his pillow. So I told him I'd call Lightning McQueen (we don't do Tooth Fairy because, in the words of my 5 year old son "I don't like fairies, they are for girls. Can Lightning McQueen give me money for my teeth instead?") and tell him what happened. Next morning, he had a dollar under his pillow :)
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Perfect recovery!

Men are so insensitive at times!

Karen
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I would've done the same thing and then I would've smacked dad! What a jerk!!! That happened to my son once and we told him that the tooth fairy just collects them so they don't clutter the house...she gets an alarm as soon as the tooth falls out. OMGosh what a jerk!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Wow, WTF is wrong with some people?

I think you handled it perfectly
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Exactly what you did and then drive over to my exes house and give him a swift kick to the balls.
  • Ruffles20
    Ruffles20 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would have done the exact same thing!
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I blame the penises
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'd have told him the tooth fairy knows where the tooth is. . (although that could backfire if he finds it later). . You did the right thing. . "Tough Luck" has it's place. .like when a kid loses a game or something. . but that seems a little mean to me.. Unless your kid is always losing everything and it's a behavioral issue that needs a tough lesson to sink in? Did his dad tell him to put the tooth in a safe place and he refused. .or didn't listen. . etc?
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think you did the right thing!! I would then have b*tch*d out the dad at a later date for being such a douche.

Poor little guy. :(
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    That's sweet!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options

I blame the penises

Me too the brain in that little thing is too small for compassion or creativity apparently
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I blame the penises

Me too the brain in that little thing is too small for compassion or creativity apparently

I have a high IQ
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You're an awesome mom is what I think!! :flowerforyou: :heart:

PS: His letter was so sweet! :smile:
  • Charliesuccess
    Charliesuccess Posts: 181 Member
    Options

I blame the penises

LOL....

I told my now 11 year old son early in life that there where no such things as Tooth Fairies and Santa and Easter Bunnies and such...being a single mother, I let him know that mommy loves him so much that she works hard to buy him all the things he likes and needs...thats what my parents did for me (even though they were married), and that how I raise him....he's cool with it. I just had to teach him not to ruin other childrens fantasies with his truth.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You did the perfect thing! His dad on other hand....would have gotten ALL of his teeth knocked out without a penny to show for it! :)

My BIL does something once in a while that I believe all men should do...brings home flowers to apologize for the Y Chromosome...
  • llahairdna
    Options
    I was texting my dad last night and asked him what he would have done in that situation. He said, "We had six of you, and I can't tell you how many times that happened. It was easy enough--we just had you write a letter to the TF. Done."

All that matters to me is that I had a happy boy this morning. :)
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    That's a really clever recovery.... good for you! Dad is insensitive but that's why Mom's are the best, they never disappoint!
  • llahairdna
    Options
    Poor little guy! My son had a similar thing happen, he lost a tooth but doesn't know when it came out (he was at school) and didn't have it to put under his pillow. So I told him I'd call Lightning McQueen (we don't do Tooth Fairy because, in the words of my 5 year old son "I don't like fairies, they are for girls. Can Lightning McQueen give me money for my teeth instead?") and tell him what happened. Next morning, he had a dollar under his pillow :)

David's room was decorated with Lightening McQueen until his sixth birthday when he came into my room and said, "Cars Movie is for 5 years olds. I'm six now, so I need Mario Kart. That's all." Then he turned and walked out. haha! Luckily his b-day is in November, so Santa brought him all new stuff. :laugh:
  • llahairdna
    Options
    Exactly what you did and then drive over to my exes house and give him a swift kick to the balls.

I thought about it.....but I need to save that for the really bad stuff. As annoying and sad as this was yesterday, it's not the worst he's done. I just have to keep believing that Karma will kick in at some point.....