Long Distance Running vs. eating Back Calories

mshawski
mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
I'm beginning to train for a half marathon. Thou thought of eating back my calories when I'm burning off 1500+ in one run is mildly terrifying, as that would put me over 3,000 gross calories a day [still 1590 net, which is my goal]. Something about it just seems... wrong. Long distance runners who are trying to lose weight, does eating back all of your calories work for you? Or anyone who burns A LOT in one work out - what seems to work for you?

Replies

• kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Simply put you won't be able to eat back all of your calories....just because it's not possible lol.

When I trained for a marathon I burned 1,500-2,000 additional calories! I just ate the same thing....drank more fluids, Gatorade, etc.

You'll be smaller, of course, but that's a good thing :)
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    I find that on my longer run days, it is fairly hard to eat all of my alloted calories. However, I do make sure I eat a good amount of protein and a decent amount of carbs. The nice thing is that I can enjoy some of the foods that I might not normally eat because they consume too much of my normal caloric allottment. Then again, leaving myself in a caloric deficit for the day is mostly positive since I am trying to reduce my BF% anyway :tongue:

I think the biggest thing here (as pointed out by others too) is that you sufficiently fuel your body for the exercise that you are doing. I don't know that it needs to be 1 for 1 (calories burned vs calories consumed), but I would think that you need to listen to your body and replenish the energy as needed and fuel up for your next run.

Greg
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    That's why I just love my Runs :bigsmile: I can eat some more since I'm using up so many cals now :)
  • mshawski
    Thanks guys! My focus is cutting calories, so adding so many back just seems daunting. I feel like I'm cheating, but I'm not. You know? I needed a little reassurance, as I don't want to be that girl that curses because she didn't lose weight while she's eating 500 more than she should a day.

I AM looking forward to pizza not being forbidden on 13 mile days :)

Thanks again!
  • I find that I certainly need to eat more, particularly on the long run days, but if you are still trying to lose weight while doing so, don't hold your breath. When I hit 15 miles and above for my long runs, i finally actually started losing weight while feeling like I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted, but I know was not eating all that I was burning. Beware, though, once the race is over and you stop running that far, your metabolism will slow way down within 2 months and you'll start packing on the pounds if you don't limit your caloric consumption again. It's hard.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I AM looking forward to pizza not being forbidden on 13 mile days :)

Thanks again!

Thats exactly what I did with my long run calories. Some days I didn't get them all but I tried to plan my splurge day to coincide with my long run day.
  • mshawski
    Beware, though, once the race is over and you stop running that far, your metabolism will slow way down within 2 months and you'll start packing on the pounds if you don't limit your caloric consumption again. It's hard.

Thanks for the warning! Haha. My goal is to constantly have 1 long run during the weekends, but that's probably not realistic in the winter. So I'll be back to eating NOT pizza.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Eat.
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    I had to eat about 50--75% of my calories back or I would have absolutely no energy! It's important that when you start logging those long hours of training that you listen to what your body is telling you. If you are hungry for carbs & protein-- it's because you need them. You will still drop weight regardless, if nothing else from all the sweat and water you will loose. So hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! It's a really individual thing though so find your happy place and stick with it. Best of luck to you!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    I don't burn that much in a single run - usually 1000 at most - but when I'm doing a long bike ride, I need to injest about 300 calories per hour of activity. When I'm biking, it's solid food, but I couldn't do that running.

Slightly different, when long distance hiking, you burn a tonne of calories too (walking a marathon+ a day while carrying 20lbs). Different in that you need to carry your food, but the idea is the same. Calorie dense food is the rule. Nuts, nut butters, certain grains, etc. All have a lot of calories per ounce of food.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm beginning to train for a half marathon. Thou thought of eating back my calories when I'm burning off 1500+ in one run is mildly terrifying, as that would put me over 3,000 gross calories a day [still 1590 net, which is my goal]. Something about it just seems... wrong. Long distance runners who are trying to lose weight, does eating back all of your calories work for you? Or anyone who burns A LOT in one work out - what seems to work for you?

Well, last Sunday I did an 18k training run and then followed it up with a 1000 cal breakfast (fresh fruit, yogurt, french toast, blueberries, maple syrup, sausage & OJ).

That's also one of the reasons you don't do 2 really long runs on consecutive days - to allow you to recover physically and nutritionally.
    ]My goal is to constantly have 1 long run during the weekends, but that's probably not realistic in the winter.

Winter running is great (as long as you dress properly). Running on snow and ice has really helped me shorten my stride which results in an improved midfoot strike.
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    When I am training for long distance I usually have 1 long run a week and I do enjoy what I eat that day and eat most of my calories back, my favorite after race treat is a whole wheat turkey sub! (if training for a marathon I usually don't eat all of my calories back because that becomes 3000+ on some days).

I would just warn to be careful and track your calories because it becomes very easy to snack or say "I am carbo loading" and add on way more calories than you want. Your body will do a pretty good job of telling you if you need more. Also dont get frustrated if you notice the scale go up a bit after long runs - you will store water weight and I always struggle not to get frustrated with it.

Best of luck and so excited for you!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Was going to ask this same question (even though it seems it's been asked a million times)...but mostly because I'm working on fueling DURING my run...my blood sugar drops (to dangerous levels-I'm a type I diabetic) during the middle-end of my run and then I can't accomplish the mileage I want...
    I consumed a LOT before and during my run...then my sugar drops throughout the day (working out these issues with my doctor) but I find I DEFINITELY get hungrier days I run. I need those extra calories and carbs...if I don't fuel during and throughout the rest of the day, I'm just dead.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I find I struggle to eat back enough on my long run days, but that gives me a bit of scope to go over on other days. I tend to look at how it balances out over time. That said, my loss goal is only 1/2lb per week at the moment.

I do have to be sensitive to fuelling, so go over the night before a long run.

Subject to your plan your long runs will mainly be around the 8 mile point, a couple at 10 miles, so you're really not looking at many really big days.
  • ES110791
    ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
    How do you burn that many calories? A 13 mile run for me burns like 1200, how far do you run to burn 1500, and how often are you doing it?

But yeah, as other people have said, make sure you at least eat enough to fuel your performance. I personally would not use long distance running to lose weight. Long distance running its not the same as a HIIT workout or something, that kind of exercise is really taxing on your body and you're not going to re-fuel yourself properly, even for just general life, if you're eating a deficit. Not to mention if you want to perform your best. But that's just my opinion based on my own personal experience.

I've been half marathon training the last 2 months (it's next week omg) and I ate 2600+ calories on many long run days and it still left me with an appetite. If I ate less I would feel a significant drop in my functioning. Running 60+ km a week, think of how much fuel a car would need to go that distance. There's nothing wrong with eating a lot (even 3000 calories) if you are using that energy.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    You kind of have to see what works best for you. I eat until I'm full. However, when I'm training for a really long run say a marathon or longer, I try to run on empty occasionally. Not particularly to lose weight, but to train my body to go for longer without fuel (I have a tendency of not being able to eat much during a race). So, see what works for you... in training is the best way to experiment. If you are out of fuel, then eat more.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    I do eat them back when I am doing a lot of training, otherwise I just lose too much weight. Even if you are deliberately losingweight, you should still eat back to your target.

Like you, I try to coincide the largest meals with actual run days - but I am also ok with achieving balance over a weekly cycle. Today is a classic example - I don't feel like eating an extra 3, 000 cals to compensate for my cycle; but I've been eating my way up to it!
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Okay....here is my two cents based on my own personal experience. Not a runner, but a long distance cycler. Today, I did a run that was just short of 60 miles. I burned over 3500 calories on that 5 hour trip. My macro is set to sedentary (so that on off days, I don't overeat). Therefore, for example, my calorie consumption for today could be as high as 4500 calories if I wanted. But, here is the thing with my body....I am trying to lose weight (still have 50 pounds to goal) and when I eat anything over 2400 - 2500 calories, even on days when I do 100 mile plus rides and could eat 10,000 calories in a day.....I gain weight and it sticks to me like it has been super glued on. It takes me several weeks to lose the pounds I gain from the long rides when I try to eat back too many of the calories (which, as I said, is much over 2400 - 2500 calories total for the day).

Now, no one has been able to explain this to me in a believable and intelligent manner that is supported with research. A long ride (100+ miles) has caused me to gain (on the scale) anywhere from 5 to 11 pounds immediately after the run and it takes some time to get that weight gone off the scale. While I realize that SOME of the weight gain is muscle, some is water from tissue repair....even so, the weight persists beyond muscle repair and no way it could all be muscle. I have found that I can not cycle long distances in a Ketogenic state. It does not work for me, even though I am LCHF and T2 Diabetic. I do fuel with Gu and other carbs during my long rides and that works for me, as I have found the balance to fuel with carbs and still find myself in Ketosis by the next morning.

So, it really DOES have to do with how your body responds. I will end by saying that, even though I do gain weight per the scale, there is a very very marked difference in the fit of my clothes soon after a long ride. So, while the scale is doing its thing, the body does seem to have shed significant fat stores. Which, in the end, is the true tale of your efforts.

Good luck. Hope that this helped you or someone else.