New rules of lifting for women/ 5x5 Stronglifts

Options
To Anybody who has tried these........ Are these something that I can do at home? (The only gym in town in crowded, small and usually busy)......And if so...What type of equipment would I need?.....And would it fit into a smaller dwelling?......I appreciate all the help....Thanks

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    No idea what NROLW requires, as I am a man and have not read it.

Strong lifts is a very basic setup. Olympic weight set, power cage and bench. That is it. It would not take that much space either. I don't do stronglifts, but have everything I need to do it at home.
  • DistilledVixen
    DistilledVixen Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, but looks like the power cage and bench may be a little big for my little space. Hopefully I'll have better luck with NROLW. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    How much space do you have? No matter what you do a bench will be necessary. They both use squats so a power cage or squat rack will be necessary. I think NROLFW has various cable moves, so that would require a cable machine as well, and likely uses other stuff as well. If you don't have space for a power cage and bench you probably don't have room for your own weight set.
  • DistilledVixen
    DistilledVixen Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't have alot of space...Waaaa!!....Thinking about getting an outdoor shed or something to fit those things in there, just worried about winter. Until then, looks like I'm stuck with the crowded gym :( Thanks for the info.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I do SL and have a set up in half of my bedroom. If you can't do a powercage then take two chairs and squat between them. Make sure they're steady and you can ditch under them if you lose the weight. This should last you a little while as your weights won't be super-huge like a guy's. (thanks for the tip, Irridia)

You will need a bench for presses- the chairs can be put to the sides of the bench to give you a ditch-point as well- or learn the roll of shame. Again- you're probably not going to be doing huge lbs of weight right off the bat- so it'll give you time to move or find a new gym as you start to reach the really high weights.

NROL4W has more equipment, IIRC. Maybe someone who does that program can chime in as I have no experience with it.