Multivitamins?

Options
Okay, so I still don't eat healthy yet. I'm working on it, but it's slow going. For instance I can't stand milk, the only veggies that don't make me want to hurl are corn a green beans, and I don't even know if I like fish. And on top of that I have a VERY tight budget for food, which makes it even harder.

That being said, I've thought about taking a multivitamin to make up for the vitamins and minerals I'm not getting right now. However, I've heard a lot of people say they multivitamins are a waste of money because your body can absorb them. Is that even true, or would taking them at least be a little beneficial? Thanks.

Replies

• karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    In say take them. It can't hurt, can it? In the mean time, have you tried to do the sneaky chef stuff? Hide veggies in your food?
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    I get mine from Target.. I take a multi and an extra calcium/d... whatever your body does not need it flushes out...
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Just get yourself an affordable multi. Most doctors recommend them even if you're eating a wide variety of foods. Just a simple generic one-a-day should do you fine!
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    In say take them. It can't hurt, can it? In the mean time, have you tried to do the sneaky chef stuff? Hide veggies in your food?

I haven't tried yet. I really should check it out though. Thanks :)
  • akshayam29
    Options
    take a look at the rating and decide...useful site...

http://www.multivitaminguide.org/
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Many multivitamins are NOT easily absorbed by the body, but that's because they're coated in so much crap that your stomach acid can't break down very well. There are healthier options out there, but they cost a lot more. I think you'll notice that the better formulated, all-natural options that come in capsules rather than giant horse tablets will make you much less nauseas and provide you with much more energy.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I take a Men's One-A-Day and a 1000iu D3 vitamin every day. It's hard enough getting my calories balanced without having to worry about nutrient totals too.

Love, love, love the extra vitamin D pill. Just started taking those after Christmas, and they seem to have wiped out the winter blues that I usually get.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Many multivitamins are NOT easily absorbed by the body, but that's because they're coated in so much crap that your stomach acid can't break down very well. There are healthier options out there, but they cost a lot more. I think you'll notice that the better formulated, all-natural options that come in capsules rather than giant horse tablets will make you much less nauseas and provide you with much more energy.

Totally agree. I take these http://www.questvitamins.com/pdf/her-daily-one-for-women.pdf and they really aren't much more expensive than regular vitamins.