Need Input on Strength Training for an Older Woman

Options
19kat55
19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
Wanted to post this topic and hear from all you wonderful MFPers that are so fit. I am an older woman, 56 years old, who would like to start doing some strength training. I read all the time in the forums about heavy lifting low reps vs lower weights higher reps and I understand the concept. My question is this. At my age, should I start out lifting as heavy as I'm able or start lower and increase it. I know even if I start as high as I can now that will increase over time. So what are your recommendations and thanks a bunch!

Replies

• almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. Stage 1 of the program is a good introduction for a beginner of any age. Also, the author is releasing the New Rules of Lifting for Life (comes out next week, I think), which is specifically geared for an older audience.
  • 19kat55
    Options
    Check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. Stage 1 of the program is a good introduction for a beginner of any age. Also, the author is releasing the New Rules of Lifting for Life (comes out next week, I think), which is specifically geared for an older audience.

Thanks so much!
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I bought this book last week and just finished reading it.
    I too plan on starting to lift the first week of May but its been years since i really followed any kind of a lifting program and have been consistent at all.....I mean years (guessing 10!!!)
    I plan on following the book but I have to tell you......I also read Younger Next Year for Woman about a month or two ago and although the book recommends lifting.....he suggests starting out slow!!!!
    Yet NROLW suggests digging in!!!!
    So Im a little nervous because I wanted to just jump right in but the author of the book YNYFW says that our joints and ligaments need time to catch up to our muscles lol
    That were not in our 20's or 30's anymore and some of us not even in our 40's!!!
    He says we need to get there but as long as were there "next year".....all improvements along the way will make you healthier anyway and you'll prevent injury.......which is what takes most people out and scares them from returning.
    So Im not quite sure what route Im going yet but Im definitely starting April30th.

Let me know if you find out more info....
    I'm surprised you didn't get anymore answers on this post!!! =)

Michele
  • nehauck
    nehauck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started dong weight tapes around 40 yrs old and started with 8, 10, 12, and 15 pound dumbbells. Those were the weights I've used off and on ever since until starting NROLW about 6 weeks ago (I'm 53 now) and immediately jumped my weight up to using 20, 25, and 30 pound dumbbells (the largest we have) and also using the barbell with 65 pounds on it for deadliest. What I love about NROLW is the exercises are all compound movements, i.e.: squats, dead lifts, shoulder press, lunge, and push ups and gives great directions on how to do each. I highly recommend it!
  • nehauck
    nehauck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Spell corrector strikes again... Dead Lifts, not deadliest!
  • cydwallace
    cydwallace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I purchased Chalene Extreme videos from Beachbody.com; one of the women in the videos was 60. Additionally, the way it's phased, you start out with lighter weights, then every 30 days you change your routine and the weight you're lifting. I found that it didn't take long before I was looking forward to my workouts and the strength training is only 30 minutes. There's no jumping around, no loud music, just a really good workout and a really great instructor. If I can believe my health meter, I burn approximately 500 calories in those grand total 36 minute (including warm up) work out. Best of luck to you.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and I'm also doing the NROLFW. While I'm not an absolute beginner to working with weights, I'd never done progressive, heavy lifting like this before. I'm pleased to say I'm having no problems at all with it - I don't even get much muscle soreness on the following days. And I can see my shape changing quite quickly, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm now on about week 12.

Please add me as a friend if you like, and come and look around the group pages too.
  • 19kat55
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I've been out of town and unable to respond. I appreciate each and everyone's input that took time to reply. Thanks again!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options

Thanks so much!

It is a good source, I have been spot reading it, and working with weights seriously since about November. I started with 3 and 5 lb and worked up. At that level it did not take long to work up to 10 and 15lb dumbbells. I am now working with 20 lb (e.g. 40 lb deadlift). With my arthritis, I am a bit nervous of trying too much too soon, but can now do 20 pushups. Just research and keep at it, it works wonders!!!!!!
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    Spell corrector strikes again... Dead Lifts, not deadliest!

But after trying it, I feel deadliest works equally well! :-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont be afraid of heavy lifting.

check out this lady http://ernestineshepherd.net/
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    dont be afraid of heavy lifting.

check out this lady http://ernestineshepherd.net/

Wow! Isn't she amazing? But ... hang on ... if she can do it, we all can!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I purchased Chalene Extreme videos from Beachbody.com; one of the women in the videos was 60. Additionally, the way it's phased, you start out with lighter weights, then every 30 days you change your routine and the weight you're lifting. I found that it didn't take long before I was looking forward to my workouts and the strength training is only 30 minutes. There's no jumping around, no loud music, just a really good workout and a really great instructor. If I can believe my health meter, I burn approximately 500 calories in those grand total 36 minute (including warm up) work out. Best of luck to you.

I was going to mention this as well - the 60 year old lady in the workouts is using the resistance bands, not the weights, but that's just to show people how to use them correctly if that's all the have available. The program is focused on lifting as heavy as you are able for 10-12 reps, you judge the weights based on your own abilities and adjust as needed.

There is no jumping around in the weightlifting workouts (3 times per week) but if you follow the schedule there are 2 days of cardio per week. They jump around in those but there is always a 'beginner' person showing you how to modify everything to be low-impact.