Run with a friend or leave them in the dust

Options
pgp90xer
pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
So I am signed up to run my second Spartan Race this summer and have asked a good friend to join me in the race. I tried politely to see if he wanted to run in a different heat then me so we along with our family could cheer or mock ( LOL ) each other, but he insists on running together. So since this is my second race and I really want to beat my time from last year which was 37 minutes and I really want to hit around 30 minutes, should I run full out or should I run with him side by side? I have been working out very hard the last two years while he just told me this week he has to start training and laughed!

What would you all do???

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Be honest with your friend. Just say "I'm really trying to beat my last time, so I'm gonna go balls to the wall." I ran a half marathon with a girlfriend who'd never run one recently (I'd run 2 previously) and she was totally cool with me running ahead when she needed to take a walk break. The moral support was still there, and I was cheering for her at the finish line. Good luck! Someday I'd like to be able to do a Spartan Race, but I'm just not in that good of shape yet :)
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    With all the training you have done I would explain your goals and he will understand if he is a friend.
    You deserve a chance to go for it --- have fun :)