Looking for lunch ideas...

Options
What are some of your favorite items to bring to work for lunch? Feelin like I need more variety...

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    What do you have at your disposal? I have a fridge, toaster oven and microwave at work. Recent things I have brought:

This week- Crispy quinoa cakes (Vegetarian Times recipe) with a marinated broccoli salad

Hummus sandwich loaded with veg (sprouts, tomato, greens, etc.)

Soup: I make a big batch at home and freeze into portions- chicken soup, vegetable soup, lentil soup, chowders...they all freeze well.

I will grill chicken or steak at home (leftovers are good) and take the rest and slice it up for sandwiches (healthier and cheaper than lunch meat) or salads

Cold sesame noodles

Last but not least, leftovers! We are a family of 2 so many times there will be leftovers I can snag for lunch. Sometimes I purposely make a larger meal than necessary just for that purpose.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Last but not least, leftovers! We are a family of 2 so many times there will be leftovers I can snag for lunch. Sometimes I purposely make a larger meal than necessary just for that purpose.

^^I second the leftovers! I find I get less bored with lunches brought from home if I mix it up and includes at least a few meals of leftovers each week.

I'm planning on starting to do more batch-cooking on the weekends and freezing pre-portioned meals of soup/chilis, casseroles, etc. that can be quickly grabbed for lunches and dinners.

Also, I find that frozen vegetables are much more convenient and less likely to go bad in my home, since I can use them as I need them - I'll take frozen spinach (or whatever the veggie of the day is) in a small tupperware container to heat up at lunch to go with leftovers or a sandwich or whatever else I bring.