Caloric Intake...i'm still confused!

Options
jammiemd
jammiemd Posts: 46 Member
Ok, so my profile page says that my caloric intake should be 2140 calories a day. I am obese. Is it bad not to eat that many calories in one day if i'm trying to lose weight? If I eat less calories, like maybe a 1800 calorie diet...am I helping or hendering my weight loss?

Replies

• pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Your calories that MFP set for you include a calorie deficit for you to be able to lose at a healthy rate. As you lose weight you will want to re-calculate the calories needed as it will go down. I would not eat a lot under what you have been given unless you really are not hungry. Good luck, this program really does work and it is a healthy and easy way to make sustainable life changes.
  • jammiemd
    jammiemd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That helps a lot :)
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    just to confirm what the other person said, they are quite correct; your calorie intake has been calculated on your weight and it will indeed decrease as you lose weight. good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    In the short run, no. In the long run yes. A day here or there, or even a few days in a row don't matter, but doing so consistently will result in excessive muscle loss. Since you are obese, you have a little more flexibility than those who are overweight, but it is better to establish good habits now rather than later. As stated your healthy calorie deficit is included already. If you exercise you should eat back the extra calories you burn to keep that calorie deficit in a healthy range.
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    eating less can back fire and make your body go into starvation mode