Binging

Options
How can i stop myself from binging on weekends?? I can do really good all week long, but then the weekend hits and i seem to go crazy!! any advice?? it's hindering my weight loss goals because i seem to just keep going in circles!! thanks.

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You can either change your diet and activity patterns, or you can stay fat. Plain and simple.

I like drinking several times a week, so day-to-day I will eat 200-300 below my budgeted calories and save them up. Or you could exercise more in the week and not eat those calories back. That way, I can go over on the days that I do drink and not worry because I'm still under for the week.
  • sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    You can either change your diet and activity patterns, or you can stay fat. Plain and simple.

I like drinking several times a week, so day-to-day I will eat 200-300 below my budgeted calories and save them up. Or you could exercise more in the week and not eat those calories back. That way, I can go over on the days that I do drink and not worry because I'm still under for the week.

really unneccessary... she isnt fat
    I dont know exactly what you mean by binging Ash since it can apply both to food or drinking but I cant imagine that you are consuming the amount that you feel like you are. You aren't fat which is probably why it is getting harder to lose weight at this point than it was in the beginning when you had more to lose. For me, I am not willing to completely cut out certain foods or drinking. I've tried a lot of different fad diets or programs and am now just sticking to the plain and simple strategy of being active enough to eat what I want. You could try substituting different versions of foods you like to see if that will satisfy your craving or try making a healthier version of whatever it is. Be a little more specific about what exactly you feel you do that is holding you back and you will probably get some better ideas
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options

As stated above, unnecessary. MFP is supposed to help motivate and support each other, and for a sensitive subject like weight loss and food, comments like that can trigger an emotional response. I used to binge as a way of comforting myself when I felt that people thought I was fat or if I felt fat that day. Fat is not a supportive word to many people.

On the topic of your post:
    I sometimes struggle from this problem too. Especially if I've gone out the night before and wake up a little hungover. I usually eat something kind of greasy or not healthy and then my day just goes downhill from there.
    What I've learned is indulging is okay, but it's mostly the portion sizes that are the problem. For example, if you crave something crunchy, have a few chips but not the whole bag. Take 5 chips out of the bag and put the bag away and understand that those chips are your serving size and that's it. Usually, a small taste of something is enough to satisfy a craving.

Also remember, just because you indulge on one thing that day, doesn't mean the whole day needs to go to waste. Just like if you dent your car, you wouldn't take a hammer and smash the rest of it.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Now that Spring is here and Summer is approaching, maybe you can plan outting for the weekend. Like Saturday, I will go for a hike and enjoy the beautiful weather. Take some nuts or apples or something small the snack on so you don't get really hungry and eat everything in sight when you get home. :-)

I always do well during the week because I'm at work, so it isn't like I can eat whatever, whenever. But if I'm just chilling at the house on the weekend. Yeah, that's a recipe for disaster! lol
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options

It's harsh but I think they're basically saying you have to change your mindset or you'll stay where you are.

Remember that the calorie allotment on MFP factors in a deficit in order to lose weight. So if by "binging" you're going over this, you may actually just be in maitenence area. Doing that once a week isn't going to wreck any progress. However, be MINDFUL of what you're eating. Still watch sodium and processed foods. They're unhealthy, period and you're trying to be healthy.

I allow myself a cheat MEAL...not a cheat day or weekend. If I want pizza on a Saturday for lunch, I have it but I make sure I get some exercise in and eat well the rest of the day.

It's about BALANCE. You just have to find yours.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

really unneccessary... she isnt fat
    I dont know exactly what you mean by binging Ash since it can apply both to food or drinking but I cant imagine that you are consuming the amount that you feel like you are. You aren't fat which is probably why it is getting harder to lose weight at this point than it was in the beginning when you had more to lose. For me, I am not willing to completely cut out certain foods or drinking. I've tried a lot of different fad diets or programs and am now just sticking to the plain and simple strategy of being active enough to eat what I want. You could try substituting different versions of foods you like to see if that will satisfy your craving or try making a healthier version of whatever it is. Be a little more specific about what exactly you feel you do that is holding you back and you will probably get some better ideas

At 5'8", I was at my best weight at 133 pounds (before the back injury blah, blah, blah...). It's not up to other people to determine what our best weight would be. The OP isn't attempting to get to an unreasonable weight, so people shouldn't discourage her by telling her she doesn't need to lose anymore weight.

Sometimes I get in this "mode" too, only in evenings instead of weekends. I try to spread my food out to more of a munching from dinner time to bed time, spreading about 400-500 calories throughout the evening. Sometimes I even make a little schedule so I won't eat everything up too soon. You might try something like that or do more exercise as someone else suggested. Just don't give up; keep trying. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What are you binging on? Start with better binge choices. My favorite is air-popped popcorn w/ melted butter and sea salt. For ice cream, I have a Blendtec blender and will take 2 frozen bananas, 1 heaping Tbsp. raw cacao powder and 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract and blend to ice cream consistency... yummy, healthy chocolate ice cream! Just make BETTER choices and don't deprive yourself. (I had 2 years anorexia and 4 years bulimia so this is where I came from. It's all about baby steps - whether you have an eating disorder or are just plain addicted to a food, or binging or whatever.)