5'4" Almost 40... Life changes needed

Options
I found MFP about a month ago and I'm now adjusting to the eat more to lose weight philosophy. I started my weight loss last July after I saw some awful pictures from my 39th birthday and decided I would NOT look like that for 40!! I really didn't know who that person in the pictures was... it couldn't be me. I realized I had to make some very significant changes to the yo-yo weight loss/gain could end once and for all.

I started by hiring a personal trainer that kicks by butt 3X per week. I've never really been good at gyms or videos. I start off great and that lasts about a month. I started adding in some dance classes or moderate hiking when I can about 2 months ago and that helped me get off the last plateau. I knew I was doing a lot of good things but I wasn't sure if it was enough so I'm so happy to be here now on MFP.

I've never really tracked food so this has been a really humbling and surprising experience. I have learned so much about my habits. I was one of those people who ate very little in the wrong perception that was the only way to lose weight. I'm now adjusting to a much healthier way of being.

SW: 203 (July 2011)
CW: 166
GW: 130

Would love to hear from others out there... especially of the same age, similar stats or both. Feel free to add me. :)

Replies

• jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and 41 and getting closer to 42. I have also being thin but two kids later and found myself wearing the same pair of pants because they are the only ones that fit. I just joined this week but have been exercising for two months now. I have been doing the Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones DVD, going to a Pilates class once a week and to a Bar Fusion class once a week. Sometimes,when I can I like to squeeze in a yoga class.

I am ready to look like my old self again and be a positive role model for my kids

CW: 148
    GW: 125
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and currently 135lbs. I am a 26 year old mother of a 3 year old boy. His father and I are getting married this September, and my goal weight is to reach 125lbs before then. My toughtest challenge is continuing to eat healthy and not going out to eat. So far I have lost 5 pounds since mid-March 2012. I love this website and find it very encouraging to connect with people who share similar goals as me.
  • calimoma
    calimoma Posts: 64
    Options
    I am too 5'4" and 39 years old. I began losing weight a couple years ago but still have a ways to go. I told myself that since I have no control over turning 40, that when I do, Im going to be a HOT 40!! I am very determined to do so, not only for my health, but for my self eteem as well. All I see is fat when I look at myself and Im tired of feeling that way.

I was doing weight watchers all this time and finally decided that I could not afford it any longer. Thats when I found this app for my Iphone. I am doing something drastic and trying to lose 10 pounds by the 27th of April. I just started and am going strong!

Any additional posts are welcome and I am in need of friends!!

Good luck to us all!!

SW 176
    CW 154
    GW 130
  • calme1
    calme1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi I am 37 years old 5'3" just started up today Starting Weight 230 lbs Goal weight is to get me down to 150 lb. I too look at my pictures and realize that I am just getting bigger. I never was this heavy in my life. In my early and late twenties the I was like 135 or 140 and then I don't know what happen I guess I must have let myself go. I have to get healthy again. Being older now my body is having a hard time carrying around all this weight and I even started on high blood pressure medicine a few months ago. Anyone can add me as a friend especially people who are my age and need to lose a lot just like me.
  • 447eliz
    447eliz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    5'2" almost 39 year old mother of 3 boys (15, 13 and 2) and work full time.I too started my journey after seeing pics of myself that were not too flattering. It is hard to find the time to workout, cook healthy food ect with my schedule. I have been lucky to have an elliptical at home, so I work out on that 6 days a week. Doing at least 30mins (burning at least 400).
    SW 178 (estimate because at that time scale was not my friend) :-)
    CW 146
    GW 123 to 128

Feel free to add me 447eliz!!
    Stay motivated!!
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump... :flowerforyou:
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi....I'm 44. I will be 45 in a few months. Also a single mother but I have a son in college and a daughter graduating from high school this year. She will be off to college in the fall. Starting to reassess what I want to do with the rest of my life. Fitness was at the top of my list. I started on my journey going on 110 days. I love eating healthy and finding new ways to get excercise into my life. I joined a hiking group and take kickboxing classes.

SW 168
    CW 151
    GW was 140 but as I get closer may change it to 135

Please feel free to add me :)
  • Anikib
    Anikib Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello, all of you feel free to add me. I am 5'1" and I will be 40 this year. My SW was 150. My goal weight is 122 and I was almost there. But became lazy. I got down to 126 and stayed there for about 3 months but then I gained 5 pounds back in 2 weeks, so now I am focused again.
    I am married and have 3 children (16,13,12) and I am a homemaker.
  • timetogetfitter
    timetogetfitter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi im will be 37 next month,5ft 2 and 164 I have just started trying to loose weight again after my miscarriage. I have a 7 year old and work part time feel free to add me x
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5"3 and 37. I have been in the process of losing wright for almost 2 years and was stuck on a plateau for 10 months! The past few months it has been moving again so I'm soo glad I stuck it out! After all this is about change right? Not just the number. I started at 261.5 lbs and currently at 170 and starting to do a lot more heavy weight lifting which seems to have helped not only my weightloss but I'm really seeing big changes in my body composition a well. I am one pound from being out of the obese category BMI wise a place I have been for 16 years. I hope to hit that goal next week. I am also at 91 lbs of weight loss and close to my lowest adult weight ever, 165. I have a few big milestones I want to surpass in the next 10 lbs to get myself into uncharted territory. I feel great and am starting to feel decent about how I look. I'll do progress pics in 10 lbs or so since there are no current ones on my profile. Good like everyone and keep pushing yourself, you can do this!
  • minnousche
    Options
    I'm also 5'4 and closing in on 40 - that's why your post caught my eye. Congratulations on all your progress to date! You've done amazing. I've also loved seeing all the replies from others in the age/height group.

I just signed up here, but I've been trying to shed this weight for a long time. I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't feel fat. It hasn't stopped me from big things I've wanted to do; I graduated from college, plugged away at my career for several years, got married and had two kids. I plan to stay home until my son is in school full time, which will be in three years. My life is a pretty happy one, and I've been content.

Probably too content - it's easy to think, "Why fix what isn't broken?" Well, for one thing, my age and years of being overweight are catching up to my body. Apparently I have good genes, because my cholesterol and blood pressure have been good, and I'm not diabetic (though I did have gestational diabetes with kid No. 2 - I totally controlled it with diet, though); however, I'm noticing that I can't leap up to stop the 2-year-old from getting into trouble without some joint protesting, and I find myself a lot more sluggish in the afternoons.

Anyway, here I am. I'd love to have some friends here, especially ones in our age range.