Working out while injured

Options
I was not able to work out for several weeks due to pleuracy (I had lung surgery many many years ago so am suscepitble to that king of thing), and last night was so excited to finally join my weekly tennis games again. 5 minutes into playing, I fell and twisted my stupid ankle. I am not known for my gracefulness, so getting injured is nothing new for me. Anyway, I iced and elevated it last night. It's still pretty swollen and sore, so I'm hobbling around now at work.

But my question is this...I still want to go to the gym and do what I can, even if I can't do cardio at the moment. But I'm being told that the more I hobble around on it machine to machine the longer it will take to heal and it will be that much longer before I can get back to cardio. And that I need to just stay off of it totally for a few days. Really???

Would it seriously be that bad to just use it a little so that I can at least do some strength training?

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Swim?
  • missykm7
    missykm7 Posts: 42
    Options
    hmmmm...good idea. I might try that one. thanks!
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think i would rest the ankle and let it heal properly,,, what about doing strangth exercises instead,, would still give you a good calorie burn without putting too much strain on your ankle! Hope you get well soon :)