Losing weight without exercise?

Options
So I have been on myfitnesspal since Dec 08 and for the first 3 months did AWESOME... and lost 17lbs. I was eating great and working out atleast 3-4 times a week, quite vigorously. It was working and the 1st thing I have ever seen success with! Then I started having problems with my foot.. and it turned out I have Plantar Fascitis = very painful condition of the heel, or in my case, arch of the foot that can take 6 months to a year to heal. It requires wearing supportive shoes, foot stretches and "babying" it as much as possible.. which means no walking, running, jumping or anything that puts stress on it. So ................................. BAM! I hit a brick wall with my exercise. Because of this discouragement, my diet got less and less restrictive over the past 2 months and I gained 7lbs back.. ARGH!!!!!

So here I am, back again and working hard at my diet. I am still limited with my foot although it feels a little bit better, I still need to becareful. I am curious if anyone has had success with diet alone? Although I feel as though I need to workout as well, I am slowly thinking about incorporating either swimming (which is only at our local pool.. yuck), or stationary bike at my work gym, I am curious if & how people have maintained losing weight with diet alone.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all of you!

Replies

• BigAnn
    BigAnn Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm ashamed to say that I haven't exercised at all. However, I still have lost 25 pounds in six months.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert at all, but I think that if you try to get xercise in ways that don't interfere with your foot your journey wouldn't be as frusterating. I know that before when I didn't exercise I found it really hard to keep my cals low enough. Swimming is a really great idea, and there are different classes in the pool too, at my local pool they have deep water aerobics where your feet don't touch the floor of the pool (you wear a floatie)
    good luck
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    It can be really hard to lose weight without exercise though it is possible. You just have to REALLY watch what you eat.

Have you considered water aerobics? It's a really good workout and extremely low impact. Most YMCA's offer it and I know a lot of people who have had good results with it even though they can't have impact.
    Another option is just doing strength training. There is little to no impact and it will still get you some exercise.

Don't let this get you down. Use this as an oppertunity to try things you never would have thought of before. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    Another workout option that puts very little stress on the feet is a rowing machine. My sister starting using one when she got a bad cut on her foot and loves it. She's a swimmer, so the workout really helps with areas she needs it and it's a great aerobic workout that's a little different. maybe switch between that and the bike for some variety? Swimming is definitely a good option too.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    You could always try weight training. Build muscle, lose fat! Swimming is a great idea. I have lost weight in the past without exercising, but it isn't the best way. Exercise is beneficial for many reasons. Don't quit doing it now. Talk to your doctor about other low-impact exercises that you can do. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I recently just joined this site. I've actually lost about 60 lbs since May of lost year, JUST by dieting alone. (Major changes in what I ate of course.) But to answer you're question: Yes, it is possible. You just really have to watch what you eat. Maybe just cut back a little more.

Excercises that you may be able to do. Maybe something like prenatal yoga? I know pregnancy isn't the issue, but it should be beneficial and low pact. And just basic floor exercises; crunches, leg lifts.... etc.

HTH!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Mabye yoga? :huh: You're standing on your feet, but you're not really jumping all around. Just an idea...
  • Sparklene
    Sparklene Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've recently check out Linda Sansone's walking dvd's from the library and know that theywon't work with your foot problem; however, as I perused the shelves, there were several sit-down aerobic tapes/dvds. Not sure if they're too easy or not. MIght be an option.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    I've had PF and there are TONS of things you can do that do not add stress to your foot.
    Weights, ttapp (www.betterbodybasics.com) yoga, pilates, biking, swimming, biking is a GREAT one...and I've always gone for walks...pf or not. exercise is just too important!!!

cindy