Frustration!!!

Options
Ok... so I've been in the gym 6 days this past week... eating pretty well too... and I GAIN 2 lbs!!!
I'm trying not to stress about it, but I'm so sick of being the weight that I am! I have been weighing in on Mondays, but I think i'm going to switch to Sundays. Sundays is my day off, I don't go to the gym. So I think that's a better morning to do my official weigh in!

Just need a little motivation I guess.

Replies

• CMS1130
    CMS1130 Posts: 9
    Options
    you are probably gaining muscle from all that time at the gym:flowerforyou:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Maybe its muscle...
    AND...you should probably go through and read all of the posts on the evil scale :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Its not our friend (obviously) According to successful people here on MFP, measuring is the best measure of our acheivement in the beginning (:
    Good luck and Congrats on making a difference in your life..... Good job on your exercise!!!!:heart:
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: Don't stress about the 2 lbs gain, our weight flucuates as we excercise! And the old addage that muscle weighs more than fat is crap, 2 lbs is 2 lbs!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If you're restricting calories you're probably not gaining a heck of a lot of actual muscle mass (that actually takes EXTRA calories). But when you start a new regimen or you step up your workout significantly, your body holds on to extra water as it does any time the system is "worried" in some way. And muscle work generally requires extra water in the body. Also, make sure your 6 days are very different work out routines so that your muscles are getting a chance to rest. Your body repairs and rebuilds during REST, not during the actual workout, so adequate rest is as important as the workout itself. If most of your workouts are cardio, adding in some weight training will yield wonderful results. Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat and weight training has a longer metabolic benefit after the workout itself.

Either way, don't stress about a lb or two, as hard as that is. The most important thing you can learn along this road to fitness is that it's all about big picture. The trend over time is what's important and although keeping an eye on your weight once a week or so can be helpful, you need to place much more importance on a general downward trend than one weigh-in.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • owllady2250
    Options
    The other key factor is water. I have found when I drink my 8 glasses or more of water per day, I lose weight! When I don't get them all (or most of them) in, I either plateau or add weight. My trainer says the water helps release the fat, etc. creating the pound loss so if you're not getting the water you need, it clings for dear life. I carry a water bottle with me and keep it filled with chllled water. I started by only taking it to gym glasses; now I carry it virtually everywhere. I get in the 8 glasses without even thinking about it.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    :smile: Don't stress about the 2 lbs gain, our weight flucuates as we excercise! And the old addage that muscle weighs more than fat is crap, 2 lbs is 2 lbs!

What people mean by "muscle weighs more than fat" is the density. Muscle is more dense. So a measuring cup filled with muscle would weigh more than that same measuring cup filled with fat. Fat takes up more room... more volume. Yes 2 pounds is 2 pounds but a 32 inch waist with pure muscle is heavier than a 32 inch waist with pure fat (as if you could have no muscle). See what I mean?
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I have found over the years that whenever I start a weight loss program with exercise (I reaaly hope this is my last time doing this) I initially gain weight. I know its not muscle (wouldn't it be great if we gained muscle that fast). My belief is that it is your body storing food and liquids i preparation for future work outs. Its adjusting. Don't worry, you'll lose it and more ovver the next couple of weeks - my own experience. Also, I have found that after 3 months I need to change my exercise routine as I plateau my weight loss. After the change, I begin losing weight again.

Last time I started this I dropped 90 lbs in less than a year :happy: with a heavy cardio and exercise program (2 hours a day with 1 day off per week) and did not change my eating habits. I gained 60 lbs back when I stopped exercising:mad: . I don't have that amount of time this time around so I am combining exercise (at least 1 hour per day) with adjustments to my eating habits. I think MFP should help me reach my goal. Its easy to lose the initial weight but I find once you start getting reaaly close to your BMI then that's where the real challenge begins.

It may seem it takes no time to add weight but it forver to lose it but after you reach your goal you will feel fantastic and wonder how you ever could have let yourself gain that weight originally.

WE CAN DO IT! WE WILL DO IT!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice! I really needed the boost! This site is wonderful for that!!! It helps to get an outsider looking in perspective on things. They always see things you don't! I have been doing both cardio and strength training. I do feel much better than I did 2 weeks ago when I started my journey! So I guess that has to count for something!

One thing, I didn't get my 8 oz of water yesterday!!! Maybe that has something to do with it!

Thanks guys!!!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    water consumption really is a HUGE key. On days when I don't get adequate water I'm always up on the scale. If I drink all my water that day I'm inevitably down again the next day.