Back Strength??

Options
autumnk921
autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
Need some help finding exercises to help strengthen my lower back!!! PLEASE!! :)

I can do plenty of exercises & as far as I know I am doing them right but for some reason I have no strength in my lower back!
I can do crunches all day long & can feel the muscles in there (can't see them yet though) but when it comes time with my DVD's to lift my back off of the floor while doing a crunch to touch my knees I absolutely CANNOT raise up b/c my back is so weak!! Can anyone tell me some exercises to do to help my lower back get stronger???? I would really appreciate it b/c these are not advanced moves & I can do everything else except this...WHY????

Replies

• countsenseless
    countsenseless Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    iv always herd a strong stomach is a strong back. but i could be wrong.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    hmmm...Kettelbell swings may be good for the lower back. Back extensions are definitely good but most people don't have the equipment for that. You can do what's called Good Mornings (look for it on youtube) where you can get the same movement without a bench. You can also do supermans (supermen?!) where you lay on your stomach then lift both your arms and legs off the ground. Or the V lift or banana, which is basically the opposit of a superman. Laying on your back you lift your arms/torso and legs off the ground so you're balancing on your tush!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and hyperextensions. All those ab exercises you can't do because of your lower back you need to work at. Whatever you struggle with you need to keep trying because just doing it is the best way to get better at it.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    @countsensles - You are probably right....I know it's about your whole core - Abs, back - but I thought my abs were pretty strong but I may be wrong & really just need to work on my whole core....Hopefully some people on here can tell me some great core exercises then.... :)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You need both to have a strong core and prevent injuries.

Plank and pushups will work the whole core. I'm sure others will have many other suggestions as well.

I also feel that my back is much stronger after starting deadlifts, I wouldn't do without some proper coaching though.
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options

This. You need to strengthen your core muscles. That helps your back.
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Search for "good mornings" and "straight-leg deadlifts/Romanian Deadlifts"

Also Hyper Back Extensions are good.

Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    To work the back you can do supermans, Straight legged (SL) dead lifts, traditional dead lifts, back extensions (not called hyper extensions as other responders called them, if you hyper extend that means over extend which is usually an injury for hyper extending something). For the SL and regular dead lifts start light and make sure you maintain good form. You can use youtube as a guide on how to do these workouts. The dead lifts also work the legs with the SL mainly hamstring and regular pretty much the full lower body but slightly less on the lower back.
  • curvacious85
    Options
    i had to go to physical therapy for my lower back, and they told me in order to strengthen your lower back you have to do a lot of ab strengthening, and work out your legs and glutes. All those muscles work together to help with your back. maybe google some exercises, i do a lot of PT at home. good luck!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Here is a link for gymnastic core conditioning....some me be very strange, but I don't think anyone can argue about the strength to weight ratio of gymnasts..

http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/core
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    A lot has already been mentioned.

- Planks
    - Palloff Press (similar to a Plank but standing up with some resistance, YouTube it.)
    - Reverse Hypers
    - Good Mornings
    - Romanian Deadlifts
    - Side raises (don't neglect the obliques)

Exercises like the traditional or sumo deadlift, back squat, even bench press,and standing overhead press will engage some of your core muscles.

Although I don't believe it to be considered a core muscle, one muscle group that helps with your posture and core strength is the Rhomboids. Don't neglect Rowing exercises. Mix it up between Dumbell Rows, Wide Grip Barbell Rows (palms facing away), and Reverse Grip Barbell Rows (palms facing you). Really squeeze the weight at the peak of the movement.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Pick things up and put them down. I.e. Deadlifts.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just want to say - BE CAREFUL. If you go all out with core building exercises you can seriously hurt yourself. Speaking from experience...currently recovering going to physical therapy because I did too much too fast. The exercises I did in PT were like baby versions of the ones I was used to. Start small and build up to it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Also, strong biceps are strong calves
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    back hyper extensions

hextensions.jpg
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The best tip anyone every gave me about deadlift form is to remember that the stomach is not a hinge. Keep your back straight, your abs in, and hinge at your hips. Many people when immitating others (like in a strength training class), interpret the move with a belly bend but this can put undue strain on the back instead of strengthening it.

I've got a really weak lower back too so I can relate! One more move I'd like to recommend is the pelvic thrust aka bridge.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I do the superman.

Lay on your stomach on the floor, lift your legs and your arms as high as you can for the count of ten. Do that 5 or ten times, or whatever.
  • mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others... Superman, crunches, the bridge, planks, side planks. Keep working on that core and you'll get there.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Pilates was great for my back. I did physical therapy a while back and pilates helped a lot.