A must read...

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is good stuff! I'm still reading it.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Was suprised to see this on my feed this morning, as I originally posted it back in April, but it is definitely worth a bump.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of this, but what I disagree with is that anyone should be encouraged to believe there is an ideal body type. To suggest that 'long and lean' is ideal is to just add fuel to an already fast-burning neurotic flame; and to say that a woman who is happy that she weighs 125lb should not be happy unless what she sees in the mirror matches the current fashions in body composition is simply encouraging body dysmorphia. :noway:

I understand that an unhappy consumer is a good consumer (if you were happy you wouldn't need to buy so much), but in amongst excellent information and advice I find this rather disappointing.
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Excellent - it's long but worth the read. I think the "ideal body type" section is minor and not really an issue - the idea to focus on is that one should be working on health and fitness not just weight loss.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing......good reading!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. This link should be a sticky on the top of the board.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of this, but what I disagree with is that anyone should be encouraged to believe there is an ideal body type. To suggest that 'long and lean' is ideal is to just add fuel to an already fast-burning neurotic flame; and to say that a woman who is happy that she weighs 125lb should not be happy unless what she sees in the mirror matches the current fashions in body composition is simply encouraging body dysmorphia. :noway:

I'm not sure that I said any of the things you're purporting I said. My training philosophy when it comes to physique has always been to optimize muscle to fat ratios on top of a genetically fixed structure. I never have nor will I ever subscribe to some ideal image. But I do believe.... know actually... that regardless of how genetically blessed or cursed you are, there's room for improvement. And that improvement can only come from shifting the level of fat and muscle.

For example, I would never write or explain that someone with a short and stocky bone structure can and should train for a long and lean physique. So again, I think there's some confusion about some of my points. I would, however, explain that the individual with the short/stocky bone structure can improve their appearance by shifting some of their tissues.

I'll say this... I haven't read this information in a long time. I think it's been nearly 2 years since I wrote it. You've motivated me to go back and read it again (when I find the time) and possibly revise any of my points. Maybe I was a little foggy with some of them. I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Excellent - it's long but worth the read. I think the "ideal body type" section is minor and not really an issue - the idea to focus on is that one should be working on health and fitness not just weight loss.

Exactly. And thanks for reading. It is very long... it was actually an ebook project I was working on that I fast tracked and simply threw up on the website. Definitely too long for an article, but when I scrapped the ebook project, I didn't want the info to go to waste.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm a clinical scientist and the scientist in me loved this article. You have a great way with words and method of getting your point across. Thanks to the OP for posting this link, it's bookmarked for me to refer to for any future stumbles.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    bumpity for you and a flower as well :flowerforyou:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

I'm not sure that I said any of the things you're purporting I said. My training philosophy when it comes to physique has always been to optimize muscle to fat ratios on top of a genetically fixed structure. I never have nor will I ever subscribe to some ideal image. But I do believe.... know actually... that regardless of how genetically blessed or cursed you are, there's room for improvement. And that improvement can only come from shifting the level of fat and muscle.

For example, I would never write or explain that someone with a short and stocky bone structure can and should train for a long and lean physique. So again, I think there's some confusion about some of my points. I would, however, explain that the individual with the short/stocky bone structure can improve their appearance by shifting some of their tissues.

I'll say this... I haven't read this information in a long time. I think it's been nearly 2 years since I wrote it. You've motivated me to go back and read it again (when I find the time) and possibly revise any of my points. Maybe I was a little foggy with some of them. I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement.

Make sure you come back and tell us when it's been updated. :)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Wow, I'm a clinical scientist and the scientist in me loved this article. You have a great way with words and method of getting your point across. Thanks to the OP for posting this link, it's bookmarked for me to refer to for any future stumbles.

Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Great info. Just what I needed. Thanks.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Great, glad you enjoyed!
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So very happy I read this article!!!! Thanks for posting it!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm happy that you read it too. You're welcome!