Fitbit, worth buying for?

Options
I've thought about buying a device to track calories. I find the bodybugg kinda expensive, so I was thinking of Fitbit. I'm planning to order in Amazon so by Sat its already here, and I read the negative reviews. I only have 3 hours to decide so it will be here my Sat. I'm lil bit impatient lol. They have it here in Radioshack but only the blue one, I want the plum. Thanks!

Replies

• doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes! YeS! YES!!! Buy it! I love, LoVe, LOVE Fitbit!!!!!!!!
  • doonesbury
    Options
    LOL mine is plum!! :)
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The negative reviews are saying problem with synchronizing and its not accurate. I want the plum also! I can have it now but the blue or order it from amazon then hopefully by Sat I'll have it.
  • clemsonsaint
    Options
    I love my fitbit. It is a great investment for your health.
  • xlibbyx
    xlibbyx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love mine.
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    I would only buy it if you're a big walker. I regret buying mine, because walking is only about 10% of my workout regime. My HRM has been much more useful. Having said that, I have a friend who is a huge walker, that's mostly what she does for cardio, and loves her fitbit. :smile:
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the FitBit....a friend of mine uses the BodyMedia FIT core armband and appears to be happy with it...not sure about price difference or "useability" for you.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    I love my fitbit too, but it doesn't track weights or calories burned for any classes or dvds that I workout to. So I bought an HRM to also use for the other things other than walking. I love it though! Keeps me motivated to move!
  • tennvolsfan
    Options
    I do like my Fitbit, however, as someone who gets some type of cardio exercise most days of the week, I prefer my Garmin HRM. It's much more accurate and gives me more usable data. I've never really been all that sure about the accuracy of my Fitbit, because compared to the data from my HRM, it reads a little on the high end. If your goal is to walk 10,000 steps a day, it's a great device for that however. I've also had issues with my not syncing with my computer on multiple occasions and I think that is a common problem with the Fitbit.
  • ems1583
    Options
    I am not a walker, for my cardio I do Turbofire and Insanity, I want something that will track burned cal during those classes. I only run like 1-2x/week when I don't feel like doing any classes. Hmm...I dont know now lol

I checked also that bodymedia, they're around $130-150 something I think.

Does the Garmin HRM track cal also? or just HR?

Thanks for all your replies :)
  • doonesbury
    Options
    I have NEVER experienced sync problem with Fitbit! EVER! When I lift weights I see it on my Fitbit dashboard. Whenever I extend energy beyond daily living, I see it on dashboard. I dont understand the negativity.

Again, I LOVE MY FITBIT!!!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My Garmin tracks calories burned, I use it every workout, but only during the workout....some of these other ones appears to be something you wear all day long.
  • ems1583
    Options
    I have NEVER experienced sync problem with Fitbit! EVER! When I lift weights I see it on my Fitbit dashboard. Whenever I extend energy beyond daily living, I see it on dashboard. I dont understand the negativity.

is it okay with cal tracking during cardio workout/exercises (such as insanity/turbofire) that's my main concern. If it has problem with syncing I don't mind that much.
  • doonesbury
    Options

is it okay with cal tracking during cardio workout/exercises (such as insanity/turbofire) that's my main concern. If it has problem with syncing I don't mind that much.

YES! As I said, ANY and ALL energy I extend beyond daily normal living is recorded! I see ALL my exercise show up on the Fitbit dashboard (on the website) The beauty of wearing it all day long is if you do heavy yard work, for instance, you see the burn. I am not refuting that HRM is not good for "formal" workouts. But I personally want to know ANY extra calories burn I earn! As for accuracy, I think that entire topic is subjective. Who REALLY knows? What does it REALLY matter? A few calories higher or lower recorded is not going to make you fatter/thinner/more fit, etc. As for me, I leave a few leftover calories at the end of my daily food diary to accommodate for such variances.
    Bear in mind, I am not out to be "buff." Nor to do any high end workouts/classes, etc. I "work out" at home with my weights, Wii Fit Plus, and workout apps I have downloaded to my iPad. My goal is to be overall healthier, toned up, and feeling good! Weight loss is a sweet bonus, but not my primary goal.
    I remain a strong advocate for Fitbit, and personally have no desire for a HRM.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL
    God speed on your journey!
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Fitbit! A friend of mine, who is a Marathon Maniac, and a member of the 50 States Marathon Club, turned me on to it. Of course, we use our Garmins when we run, and our Fitbits for all other activity. I find the Fitbit calories are highly accurate! I haven't had any problems. I can't live without my Fitbit and my Garmin!! Good luck no matter what you decide.
  • clemsonsaint
    Options
    I also find my fitbit very accurate and I don't have syncing problems.
  • heartkermit
    heartkermit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see everyone's opinions. Thanks...
  • ems1583
    Options
    I've decided that I'll buy a Fitbit! :) would just like to run to the store and buy it even if its not plum lol Ordering in amazon will take til tue to be delivered..hmm...
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love mine! Worth the money!
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love mine as well. In fact I lost mine two days ago. My husband was so sick of me saying how much I missed it that he gave he his till I can replace mine.