These scales SURELY must be wrong, body fat way off!?

Options
pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
Hi guys, I'm really hoping that I'm not just in denial here. I'm a 226lb guy at 5ft9. So I carry a fair bit of extra weight but not masses upon masses. I bought a Salter scale that had the Bio stuff on it aswell, I don't care about water% or muscle %. I was only really interested in weight and body fat %. Now I know that the most accurate way is using callipers. I didn't need super accurate, I just needed a starting point and to see it go down really. However I ordered these scales http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-StowAWeigh-9147-BK3R-Analyser/dp/B0030EPISM about 3 weeks ago, they arrived and gave my body fat as 63% roughly.

Now I'm sure that that is waaaaaay off. I have been about the same weight for a fair few years now and my body fat upon previous measurements has been around 35%. Yet these scales read 63. So I sent them back to the company and said they are faulty and they replaced them today, and bam, very similar mid sixties BF% again. I went on a website which is a very vague calculator and that read someone with my waist heigh hips weight etc should be about 35%. Are these scales just crap? Or could I really be 60ish%?!?!

Replies

• ThePunkHippie
    Options
    No way! I just did mine using this site (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ ) (the military one) & I'm 47% - there's NO WAY, with your height & weight, that you should be a higher percentage than me XD
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    That does not sound right to me either. Almost seems like its telling you how much is not fat.

I have a scale that has the body fat feature and as far as I can tell mine is pretty accurate. I have done the fat2fit measurements and had my BF checked at my gym and it was withing a couple percentage of both of those.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    I'm really tempted to just get callipers to be honest! Although I really wish the scales worked, I don't want to send them back again. I'm sure they'll just think I'm in denial lol
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    haha, 63% has to be way off

that would mean you could weigh 130 pounds and be in the 'healthy' category still

which I think you'd look more like

balejuice1.jpg
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    That does not sound right to me either. Almost seems like its telling you how much is not fat.

I have a scale that has the body fat feature and as far as I can tell mine is pretty accurate. I have done the fat2fit measurements and had my BF checked at my gym and it was withing a couple percentage of both of those.

and even then, 37% sounds really high
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    For one im assuming this scale is either one where you step on or grab two metal surfaces? it sends a current through your body to measure densities and resistence therefore the amount of water will impact your number significantly which is why these sclaes are not that accurate as you have acknowledged, calipers will get you a better ballpark
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Yes, its one of those simple you step on and it has two metal plates you stand on. I did link it in the original post. I know they aren't totally accurate and how hydrated you are can affect it by a few units I imagine, but not to take me from 35-60! I'm calling shenanigans. I hope!
  • pyrowill
    Options
    It's just surprising that this is the second one thats doing it. The amazon reviews didn't mention it so I guess it's just some of their units....
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    37 is more believable. Mine is 33, last I checked. *shrug*
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Just to be on the safe side, maybe ask your doctor to check your body fat however they do it there, just to get a more accurate reading to be sure. Yea?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    37% might be high also I dont know. When I started I was at 28% BF at 210lbs. That works out to about 59 pounds of fat. Yikes.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    You may want to monitor your water%. I noticed when I'm low in water the body fat% goes up. When my water count is normal, the body fat % returns to my last measurement ...unless I lost weight. Then it goes down.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy to me, too. I have a similar scale that tells me 19% almost all the time, while I see 10% on my other monitor.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Screw the scale body fat measurements. The online calculators are bad too. The only decent measure is a body scan. My friend's scale has me at 34% body fat. Online calculator had me at 24-38% depending on which one you used. Body scan (by far the most accurate) has me at 29%. Those scales are notoriously bad for this.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options

That might actually be the case. You should double check to see if it's on a weird setting.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Did you get on the scale after you'd been swimming or in the shower? They base bf% on electrical impedance which is HIGHLY affected by hydration. The more you are hydrated the more your body fat % decreases. Not sure why you would get a super high bf% though, strange.

I did however have a friend that was naturally scrawny and had pretty much no body fat who decided to play with my scale after we went swimming. It ended up telling him he had 98% body fat. I think it went past 0 and back to 100%.

Sorry this doesn't help much.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Check that it is not telling you body fat in lbs - some scales let you choose % or actual lbs. Weigh first thing in the am.

Calipers can be notoriously off too - especially if you don't know what you are doing. BodPod is close and DEXA scan is even more "gold standard." My Withings scale came remarkably close to the DEXA scan within an hour of each other - but it will fluctuate throughout the day so.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    It's definitely not, it says 65% BF. how frustrating!, thanks for the replies guys!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Damn, I wish I'd read this thread before I ordered a body composition scale - I literally ordered it hours ago!

Hopefully, I'll have more accurate readings or I will be mad!
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    I have the salter scales and have it set up with four profiles for our family and it seems to read ok for us,?

are you sure you havent got a profile setting incorrect?