Under calorie goal a good thing?

Options
2»

Replies

• healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I wrote this long post...and realized I should just keep my mouth shut and only answer your questions so I don't get flamed. :) hahahaha. Here's my answer:

how much do you eat in a day?
    I eat between 1800-2400 calories a day now, depending on whether or not I work out. I put myself on maintenance and will re-start a "cutting" phase in June when I don't need to work as many hours.

When I started, MFP recommended 1470. I was always hungry at 1470 and knew I couldn't sustain it. I did more research about calorie guidelines and other websites advised that I could eat more and still lose. So, I set it at 1750 and then 1650 for a few months. I worked out at least 6 days a week in order to "earn" more calories to eat. HAHA. So, during that period I ate about 1800-2100 calories a day and I lost 25 lbs. in 4 months.

Here’s my stats:
    Height: 5'5”
    SW: 178
    CW: 145
    GW: not sure...

I don't have a specific goal weight now because my original goal weight was 150. I'd like to tone up and lose more belly fat, but I'm okay if my weight stays the same (because of muscle vs. fat mass) if I can lose inches. If I can lose 5 lbs more, great. If I gain 5 lbs. but lose 2 inches...even better. :D
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree and always thought this was weird as well. It should have a " " completed their food and exercise diary and was within 50 calories of their goal. Sure would make a lot more sense with the way that this site is structured to lose weight.

I think that sounds like a good idea.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard to look at other people's diaries for a day and know what's going on. For example, on days I do a long run, 13 or more miles, I will always be under my goal, I just can't eat back all those calories. On the other hand, I have days I go over. Friday tends to be my rest day, no exercise, but it's also the day we set aside for a family dinner, I almost always go over on Fridays. Throw in other events here and there, and I may go over on other days. For myself, I focus on the weekly totals.

Which is why I stopped commenting on other people's diaries, unless someone asks for opinions based on a long stretch of time. For any one day, I have no idea what that person had going on and why they did what they did, and whether things that may look bad are already accounted for.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I definiltey do not, or would ever, comment on people's diaries. It's just not something I have business doing. I just wonder what my best approach is at the end of the day. I want weight loss and fast, but I also don't want to starve myself. I just wonder which group has more success. Those that eat what MFP says or those that starve themselves. I know it differs by person, but it sounds like those that do what MFP says are the most successful.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Also - yes, I do look at the weekly total overall. I have an extremely active social life, so I save calories for the weekends.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused here - based on my diary today - my calorie goal is 1560 and I've consumed 1395 calories so far, but I've also burned 522 calories today puting my net calories so far at 873...does that mean I'm starving myself? At no point today have I felt like I was starving myself or I couldn't handle it - on the contrary, I'm feeling really good.

I thought starvation mode was when you consume less than 1200 calories (not including exercise)...did I get that wrong?

Also, what about the rest of our goals - like fat, sat fat, carbs, protein etc because if I consume anymore calories, I'll be going WAY over what MFP are recommending (particularly the carbs)
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I look at it as saying, "Great job! You logged your day and didn't go crazy eating everything! Way to be in control!" Honestly, I never even considered that the person might be significantly under their goal because I don't normally look at diaries. I'll have to keep that in mind.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I definiltey do not, or would ever, comment on people's diaries. It's just not something I have business doing. I just wonder what my best approach is at the end of the day. I want weight loss and fast, but I also don't want to starve myself. I just wonder which group has more success. Those that eat what MFP says or those that starve themselves. I know it differs by person, but it sounds like those that do what MFP says are the most successful.

I suggest you search on the forums for people who have upped their calories using the search option.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused here - based on my diary today - my calorie goal is 1560 and I've consumed 1395 calories so far, but I've also burned 522 calories today puting my net calories so far at 873...does that mean I'm starving myself? At no point today have I felt like I was starving myself or I couldn't handle it - on the contrary, I'm feeling really good.

I thought starvation mode was when you consume less than 1200 calories (not including exercise)...did I get that wrong?

Also, what about the rest of our goals - like fat, sat fat, carbs, protein etc because if I consume anymore calories, I'll be going WAY over what MFP are recommending (particularly the carbs)

Your macros (fat/carbs/protein) are a % of your calories. If you increase your calorie allowance by exercising, your allowance of carb/protein/fat will increase in proportion.