Between sizes

Options
Because I don't weigh myself often I don't know exactly how much I've lost. As of about a week ago it was 13 pounds, may be more now. It discouraging to weigh myself everyday. I know that I am losing though. My "fat" clothes are getting bigger on me. I fit into a pair of jeans that I haven't been able to wear in over 3 years that I had only worn once. All of my bras are getting too big (losing my floppy boobies!). I don't know if I should go out and buy new clothes, which would be a waste of money since I am going to lose much more. The old clothes look horrible on me because they are big, which makes me look bigger than I am, and sloppy. A lot of my clothes that I wore before I gained all this weight are still too tight to wear in public (with the exception of these fabulous jeans). Can any of you give me some advice as to what to do?

Replies

• linzi02
    linzi02 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather,

I'm in the same situation at the moment... I'm basically just wearing and old clothes I can now fit back into and then I've bought a few staple items to keep me going until I lose more weight. Not ideal but it was getting me down wearing big, baggy clothes all the time, like you say, it doesn't really give you the confidence you deserve after shifting the weight!
  • Lexaina
    Lexaina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could just go to somewhere like Goodwill and pick up some cheap clothes to last you until later on.
  • mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree about Goodwill or the cheap clothes. Or maybe you know someone who has some clothes that might be too small/ too big that you can use. Congrats on getting out of your "fat clothes."
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    you might consider looking at a goodwill or other second hand store. I dont want to buy a bunch of new stuff that i will not fit in a month or two. It would be silly to waist all that money, wait 'til you reach some milestones or your final goal and then splurge on some new duds.
    Edit:well except for bras, that might be gross, better get those new!:wink:
  • angie_sample
    Options
    GOODWILL... i buy most of my clothes from Goodwill and i get complimented on my clothes all the time. Today im wearing a black cardigan with white polka dots and its east 5th avenue brand(Macys brand), my pants were originally from target, and the tags were still on them. Goodwills are where they are located though. SO find a goodwill that is in a really good part of town and check it out. Expect to spend 2 hours or so there but it is amazing. I have so many clothes and i already have clothes ready for when i get to the next size smaller. I cant go spend $100s of dollars on clothes that hopefully wont fit much longer so this works great. Also u can try thrift stores, garage sales anything like that.
  • wendrz
    wendrz Posts: 118
    Options
    Goodwill is a great idea..... or post on your local craigslist, clothes trading or swaps. That can at least help you out along the way until you are ready to rock your wardrobe!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I went and bought a cpl pairs of pants that fit me, but I still wear some of my old ones that don't fall right off, and all of my old shirts. A cpl things here and there, but I'm waiting on the wardrobe overhaul until I hit my final goal.
  • summerlancaster
    Options
    With summer coming up, I like to buy $10-15 dollar sun dresses at Wal-Mart. You get a lot more wear out of dresses when you move between sizes. :-)
  • rhonnie66
    rhonnie66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    TJ Maxx, Marshall's or Ross, all good places to get clothes cheaper thatn going to mall or department stores! Also you could join a clothing exchange with a weight loss group!!!!
  • kodiak1957
    kodiak1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. I had intended to continue to wear my old clothing until I reached my goal (the better to freak out my co-workers when I buy new "skinny clothes"), but I came close to a "wardrobe malfunction" last week when my pants almost fell off while I was walking through the office. So I need to permanently retire some of my old wardrobe, and stick to the stretchier pants. I am almost to the point where I can dig out the clothing I wore 10 years ago (is it back in style yet?). Goodwill or second hand shops are good ideas also, although I've noticed they rarely have much in plus sized clothing. I may also resort to safety pins, duct tape and mighty putty.
  • beanstalk72
    beanstalk72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would go and buy a very small amount of clothes just enough to make it from one wash load till the next.If you want to save some money try a second hand store you can usually find nice clothes there for cheap or if buying new check the clearence rack
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Try some nice second hand stores
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Consignment stores and I resell my clothes back when they no longer fit again.
    I don't make all my money back but it's more than if you were to buy clothes and have them sit in your closet for dust to collect.
  • countrygirlproud
    Options
    I am still wearing my fat clothes. I refuse to buy anything right now other than a few staples (bras, panties...). Oh Lord, surely it can't be that much longer :ohwell:
    My mother is my fashion advisor- she looks at the butt of my droopy pants and tells me "Disgusting. You need to buy new pants." I started cinching a belt (how long has it been since I wore a belt?!!) real tight around my waist to hold them up and shut her up :laugh:
  • countrygirlproud
    Options
    ...of course, she is my mother so no, it didn't work :wink:
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I agree with Goodwill. I lost 65 pounds recently. I went from a size 18 to an 8. You cant afford to buy clothes when you go down that many sizes. I bought jeans at Goodwill for around 5 bucks. And 6 weeks later they would be too big, so i would go buy more just to hold me over till i reached my goal. I love Goodwill.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 but still have 100 to lose. The clothes I never fit into are now all too big, which is great, but I still need to look decent. For me, I find it more inspiring to pick up a few cheap things to supplement the wardrobe instead of staying in the old clothes. Actually in front of the three-way mirror and trying on the size 18 instead of the 24 was probably the happiest I've been in a long time! I went to Old Navy for some cheap cardigans, tops etc. and am going to look at a consignment store this weekend. I put the word out and a few friends have given me a couple of things too.
    Buy stuff a bit too small and a bit stretchy as it will last over a few sizes.

With all the really too big clothes, I got rid of them immediately (gave them away to a friend) as incentive for myself. I can't gain any weight or I'd have nothing to wear at all! :smile:
  • miss_september
    Options
    Wearing my big clothes makes me feel sloppy and discouraged too, what is the point in working so hard to lose weight just to wear clothes that are too big! I actually just buy a few of the things I need--it is a nice reward for my hard work so far. I figure, as long as I am not trying to replace my entire wardrobe, I am ok to buy a few things I can wear most of the time, and just keep that up until I get to goal =-). Enjoy your new, thinner body and don't feel bad buying a couple of staple items =-)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You will love how you look in the smaller sizes.
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    depending on where you are giant tiger is a really good place to go for cheap clothes, that an with shirts get some that are the right size for now but make sure that they will not look bad on when your a size or 2 smaller, thats what I have been doing buying clothes that I can wear when Im a few sizes smaller good luck :) Great Job by the way
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!