Possible LCL injury?

I believe I may have a sore LCL from outdoing myself 2 weeks ago in a race where I finally met my timing goal/speed goal. 6.8+ MPH. I was super excited. :happy: That was Friday, April 6.

I don't work out on the weekends, so the 7th and 8th were a wash, but I had no pain. I started back out on Monday working out, and I was fine. Tuesday I went out for a run, like I normally do, and within a mile, I was back at the gym because my calves hurt SOOOOO bad. I just chalked it up having done so amazing in my race a few days before. I laid off of running the rest of the week because after that mile run all of my legs were a little achy.

Well, enters this week. My legs have still been a little achy, but I did Step and Zumba on Monday and lifting on Tuesday, and I was still achy....there was no letting up, but I haven't been worried about achy muscle...I was starting to notice a strange pain in the back of knee every so often. So, Wednesday I decided against the gym. Today I went to kickboxing during lunch. I felt that strange pop/sharp pain in the back of knee again when doing lunge kicks. Doesn't hurt while kicking but when I lunged.

I've been googling all day. Best guess is the LCL. I thought maybe ITB where it connects to the knee, but it is definitely that hard tendon/ligament that sticks out of the back of the knee when you flex your muscles, on the outer not inner part of the leg.

Don't yell at me! I am going back to the gym tonight to do kickboxing. A friend suggested laying off running for another week and taping my knee while doing classes.

1. Does it sound like LCL?
2. What kind of tape?
3. How do I tape it?
4. Other things to alleviate and heal the soreness?

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    If you feel the pop go to a spots med doctor, trust me im the LAST person to reccomend the doctor but having had terrible knees from Track for so many years, it will only get worse with activity , and you can't effectively tape the knee joint. it just won;t work, ive tried it, had trianers try it etc..

if you are really against the doc then Ice and stim is my only other recomendation but...
  • indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    hun i am in a similar position. had a pop in my knee from exercising like crazy and know my knee feels like its gonna give way, pain in it even when im resting, mines at the front and up the thigh and down the shin. DO NOT DO ANY MORE EXERCISE TILL YOU HAVE SEEN A DOCTOR. you may think, oh ill just tape it and itll be fine. you may have seriously injured yourself, put it this way, carry on and you may cause even more damage to yourself, or go see your doctor and get professional advice. hope you sort it. good luck xx
  • indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    been to doctors and ive torn a ligament. you cant be too careful with your knees hun, get yourself checked out x
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Trust me this is coming from someone with Severe Knee problems, Grade 3 Osteoarthritis both knee, Torn Meniscus both knee's, and a torn ACl in my Left Knee...... I have been fighting my knee's for 12 years now. My ACL finally gave way about 6 months ago but my knee's are beyond repair and I am trying to get the weight off so that I can have knee replacements... That being said you should really error on the side of caution and get it looked at. Our local Ortho clinic as Saturday morning walk ins (no appt.) where you can see an Ortho Doctor and get evaluated. Maybe you can find the same. If you are having sharp pain from lunges it could be more than just your LCL (your ACL comes into lay there as well as possible cartilage tears, etc... I would recommend getting it looked at before you do any more damage. If your lucky it may just be overuse and needs rest but if you have torn something, trust me you don't want to do more damage that was my stupidity 12-14 years ago and I just pushed through it and look where it got me now.... Best of Luck......