southwest grilled shrimp

Options
garimac
garimac Posts: 174
Dietitian's tip: Though shrimp is higher in cholesterol than most meat and poultry, it's lower in fat and saturated fat. And fat, not cholesterol, has the greatest effect on blood cholesterol. Shrimp also has omega-3 fatty acids, a type of fat that's good for your heart.

SERVES 4
Ingredients
1/2 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 32 shrimp)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped

Directions
Rinse shrimp in cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside on a plate.

To make the marinade, whisk together the tomato paste, water and oil in a small bowl. Add garlic, chili powder and oregano. Mix well.

Using a brush, spread the marinade (it will be thick) on both sides of the shrimp. Place in the refrigerator.

Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler (grill). Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.

Put the shrimp in a grill basket or on skewers and place on the grill. Turn the shrimp after 3 to 4 minutes. The cooking time varies depending on the heat of the fire, so watch carefully.

Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving)Serving size: 8 shrimp
Calories 73 Cholesterol 85 mg
Protein 12 g Sodium 151 mg
Carbohydrate 3 g Fiber 1 g
Total fat 2 g Potassium 199 mg
Saturated fat trace Calcium 37 mg
Monounsaturated fat 1 g

Replies

• garimac
    Options
    Dietitian's tip: Though shrimp is higher in cholesterol than most meat and poultry, it's lower in fat and saturated fat. And fat, not cholesterol, has the greatest effect on blood cholesterol. Shrimp also has omega-3 fatty acids, a type of fat that's good for your heart.

SERVES 4
    Ingredients
    1/2 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 32 shrimp)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 1/2 teaspoons water
    1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped

Directions
    Rinse shrimp in cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside on a plate.

To make the marinade, whisk together the tomato paste, water and oil in a small bowl. Add garlic, chili powder and oregano. Mix well.

Using a brush, spread the marinade (it will be thick) on both sides of the shrimp. Place in the refrigerator.

Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler (grill). Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.

Put the shrimp in a grill basket or on skewers and place on the grill. Turn the shrimp after 3 to 4 minutes. The cooking time varies depending on the heat of the fire, so watch carefully.

Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving)Serving size: 8 shrimp
    Calories 73 Cholesterol 85 mg
    Protein 12 g Sodium 151 mg
    Carbohydrate 3 g Fiber 1 g
    Total fat 2 g Potassium 199 mg
    Saturated fat trace Calcium 37 mg
    Monounsaturated fat 1 g
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    Sounds delicious! I love shrimp - I had some last night. :smile: Thanks for sharing this recipe.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!! Shrimp and chipolte - two favs :smile:
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    This sounds good what size shrimp did you use?
  • brendab
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks I added it to my list of recipes. I also use the 1/2 & 1/4 ziploc containers for my snacks. I read your other tips yesterday. Good luck with everything & thanks.
    Brenda B
    :drinker: 8 a day helps melt pounds away :drinker:
  • garimac
    Options
    I like the 31/40 count if your go much smaller it is hard to grill them.
    But you can use jumbo if you like.
    Just make each serving 3 oz.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    mmm so good I can see that w/ some steamed broccoli YUM....a little lime juice ....okay now I'm starving....lol thanks for the tip great recipe!
    :tongue:
    ali