Losing weight and feeling COLD all the time?!!!

Options
Is anyone else experiencing this??? I went from being hot all the time (when I weighed more) to the complete opposite. I am cold MOST of the time! And at first I thought maybe it was just in my mind... but I literally have goosebumps I am so cold. Anyone else experiencing this after losing weight???

I imagine its linked to losing some of my "outer layer" that kept me warm?

Replies

• fitequestrian
    fitequestrian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to get overheated easily, back when I was out of shape and 15 lbs more. Now that I've lost more weight, I am always cold, all the time. Even in spring weather, covered in blankets, drinking hot tea, I can get cold. I know iron deficiencies can cause this, though.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm always freezing now. It's like 73 in my place and I have on sweatpants, sweatshirt and a blanket. Still kinda cold.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    same here!
    i always used to be hot, all the time, and now i'm never hot, and feeling cold a lot more often..
    fat=warm
    i can't wait to get colder :wink:
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    There are several reasons as to why this occurs, one being you may not be eating enough calories. If you are not feeding your body properly your body starts to conserve and shut down certain systems , one of the first ones will be heating your body. Better this than shutting down vital organs! I notice when I up my calories my hands and feet are not as cold.

Here is a brief explanation: http://www.livestrong.com/article/305720-how-come-when-you-lose-weight-you-feel-cold/

Diana
  • BigPapaGato
    BigPapaGato Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's normal to feel cooler than normal when restricting calories.

If your eating plan is leaving you cold, you may not be getting enough calories in your diet. Low body temperature is just one of the many repercussions of very low calorie intake. Following such restrictive diets can affect your metabolism and cause serious medical issues. It also deprives your body of important vitamins and minerals needed to keeping your body functioning. Speak with a doctor or other health care professional if you're experiencing such consequences.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/477122-feeling-cold-from-not-eating-many-calories/#ixzz1sXcYoJ8m
  • Teacup13
    Teacup13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you you lose fat... an natural insulator you can feel cold.. Especially if you are getting close to your goal. Hypothyroidism can also cause this symptom, anemia ( Low Iron) could also be the culprit. Low B 12 also...I have noticed since I have lost weight that I also feel cold.. I gave blood 3 weeks ago and my iron was perfect.. I am attributing feeling cold to the weight I have lost. But when in doubt seek the opinion of your family physician.. A lab test can tell it all regarding the problems I listed..
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am cold all the time!!!! I attributed it to my layer of insulation being almost gone!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Me too! It's even worse after I have a good workout. I'll cool down, shower and for like 2 hours I freeze! I did some research on it and read that if you're not eating enough your metabolism slows and you feel colder, if it's faster, you feel warmer. It kind of makes sense so maybe we should be eating more? Then again I wasn't doing a damn thing when I was sitting around all the time and felt hot so who knows? I also read that it's from being dehydrated. All I know is that I was warm for years, lost 30+lbs and now I'm cold all the time. To top it off I have hotflashes so now I go from FREEZING, to burning up and back to freezing again! Oh well, I'd rather be colder now and healthier than I was.
    Good luck to you and try to keep warm! <hugs>
  • sherriekent
    sherriekent Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to be hot and now I'm always cold, I think it's all part of losing weight. I like it this way better!!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am cold all the time!!!! I attributed it to my layer of insulation being almost gone!

Yep! I agree! :drinker:
  • reynolds33
    reynolds33 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are several reasons as to why this occurs, one being you may not be eating enough calories. If you are not feeding your body properly your body starts to conserve and shut down certain systems , one of the first ones will be heating your body. Better this than shutting down vital organs! I notice when I up my calories my hands and feet are not as cold.

Here is a brief explanation: http://www.livestrong.com/article/305720-how-come-when-you-lose-weight-you-feel-cold/

Diana

Thank you for your post. I used to get cold and thought it was due to my weight loss (less fat keeping me warm). I now weigh the same but I am no longer cold. The information in the link you posted resonates with my personal experience.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Always always always cold =[ I tried tracking my iron on here to see if that was the issue but I was never too deficient when I monitored my weekly intake. I think my body misses the fat hahaha but I sure don't!
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Yep, there's a tie between the two.

I was just commenting to my coworkers how I'm cold again. I'm always cold now. Can't imagine what it'll be like when I reach my goal.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I thought I was going crazy cause I used to never get cold and now, I get cold relatively easily.

Interesting feedback, cause I have noticed after a hard cycling workout like that I get cold. It makes sense that I'd get cold after burning so many calories.
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    yes, very noticable difference in body temp. I actually sleep with socks on now!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my doctor about my problem with being cold...it is problematic...doc said "get fatter"...I cannot handle the cold..it is painful for me. I had issue before losing weight.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    same here
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! me. all the time!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45lbs, but I'm not cold all the time. I'm rarely ever cold. Still hot natured and my BMI is healthy. Your iron could be low.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have to carry a wrap with me most places now.