Running ?

Options
2»

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Always set your treadmill at an incline if you want it to be comparable to outside. I run about 25 miles a week on a treadmill (and another 20 or so outside), and the incline is at a minimum of level 2 but I also set it higher for hill training. I always, and I mean always out perform myself when I run outside over a treadmill. Not only is outdoor running mentally easier, but unless you're on a real hilly course or running in heavy winds, it will be physically easier than a treadmill on an incline.
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Maybe take it down a notch outside. I was in the same boat not long ago. My pace was ENTIRELY too fast for what I needed it to be and I couldn't even get a quarter of a mile in without having to walk....slowed it down a notch and now I get my mile plus some. My most so far is 3 miles non-stop. You can do it! Slow it down a little and increase your pace a little more each run. Good Luck!

Also..... I downloaded an app on my phone to help me keep track of my pace. There's several different apps you can use. Nike GPS, Mapmyrun, etc. Also, turn on some up beat tunes...and you'll have this kicked in the rear in NO TIME!!!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Something that I was told for my races outside, start slow. I think people have a tendency to get excited being outside and start too fast. I really, really have to make a conscious effort to reign in my speed. It takes me about five to ten minutes to warm up then I pick up my pace.

I'm also one who prefers running outside over the treadmill any day. i'm opposite of you, I struggle to keep my speed on the treadmill vs. outside. With that being said, I totally think it's a mind game. I have it in my head that I hate the treadmill so it's hard for me. I'm psyching myself out big time!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Always set your treadmill at an incline if you want it to be comparable to outside. I run about 25 miles a week on a treadmill (and another 20 or so outside), and the incline is at a minimum of level 2 but I also set it higher for hill training. I always, and I mean always out perform myself when I run outside over a treadmill. Not only is outdoor running mentally easier, but unless you're on a real hilly course or running in heavy winds, it will be physically easier than a treadmill on an incline.

Awesome! I did this last night and it was SUCH a workout. I can run at 6 these days fairly easily (LOL on the treadmill at least), but on the incline I could barely stay at 6 for 2 minutes.

Oh and my incline was at 5%...is that too much?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Awesome! I did this last night and it was SUCH a workout. I can run at 6 these days fairly easily (LOL on the treadmill at least), but on the incline I could barely stay at 6 for 2 minutes.

Oh and my incline was at 5%...is that too much?

5% is a pretty steep incline. Take a look at this conversion chart.

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

I run most of my runs at about 2%, so my pace on the treadmill ends up being about 20 secs faster outside, and that sounds about right for me.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Most people have difficulty when transitioning from the treadmill to running outside. The treadmill does propel you a bit but that's not it. It's a whole different thing . When you go outside, you are dealing with the elements. A slight breeze when you are running will effect your breathing as will it when the breeze disappears. Temperature is a factor and it is not always constant outside - sometimes the sun beats down and sometimes you hit a cool spot. The real change is in the terrain. It's not even and it every step is different, even on the flattest road. And, yes, the slightest incline, not noticeable when you drive it, can wear a new runner down.
    The good news is it is just as I said.... a transition. You'll be fine. And even better news is that more injuries are caused by running on a treadmill than the road or track. This is because your body does not normally move (i.e. run) at a constant rate or speed throughout. We get an average but even if you run a 10 min mile, sometimes you are running at 10.1 and sometimes 9.9, etc. On the treadmill, when your body tries to slow down that tiny bit, not even noticeable to you usually, the belt is still going at the pace of 10 and it ever so slightly jerks your leg, which over time, does a job on your joints.
    If you do use the treadmill, as others told you, make sure to always have an incline. 0.5 is enough to help simulate a "road" experience but you can go higher for some hill work.
    NEVER do speed work or distance on the treadmill. You will have people tell you they do it all the time and no problems. It doesn't make it a safe way to exercise. Injury prevention is key.
    (I also see people doing squats with their knees going way over their toes and they haven't been injured yet. This doesn't mean we should do it.)
    Last, if you have trouble at first outside, do a few days (or weeks) of walking and then running intervals and slowly increase your running time.
    Best of luck!!! :)