Is the sugar in skim milk bad for you?

Options
I have been drinking almond milk, but I need more protein because I am trying to build muscle, and 1 g protein per cup is just not enough for me. Plus, I have missed the taste of regular milk, so I decided to get skim because it has more protein, with 8 grams per cup and no fat. The carb count, however, is 12 g per cup all from sugar. I have heard from several people that it is good sugars and the same amount say it is bad. Could someone please clear this up for me?

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

It is not natural sugar, it is added so that the skimmed milk is palatable.

Have you considered switching to an organic soymilk, or bonsoy? They have at most 7g of sugar per serve, and about the same protein as milk.

Good luck!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Not

Fixed quote -

Edit: Perhaps if you're lactose intolerant. Or if you have diabetes... But if you're healthy and eating at a calorie deficit, trying to lose weight, the sugar present in skim milk is not bad for you at all.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agree with sublog.

Stick to you're cal/macro target. Do not worry about sugar unless you're diabetic. (Try to get majority of foods from whole food sources but 10-20% from treats can still work just fine)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    agree with sublog.

Stick to you're cal/macro target. Do not worry about sugar unless you're diabetic. (Try to get majority of foods from whole food sources but 10-20% from treats can still work just fine)

^^this

Also while getting it from foods is better - if you really want to up your protein and are having problems getting it from 'real food' try whey protein powder
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, it will kill you. anything more than 10oz is a lethal dose. you will literally fall over and die. try it. i dare you.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

How is lactose not natural?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Deadly it is, like a silent fart. It'll getcha when you least suspect it. It has been known to snatch babies from their cribs in the night in South America.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

What?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

What?
    Didn't you know that? They also add the blue tint to it, making your brain think it's going to be eating blueberries. It's the Bilderbergers that are behind it.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Have you considered switching to an organic soymilk, or bonsoy? They have at most 7g of sugar per serve, and about the same protein as milk.

Good luck!

This is not true. Don't listen to this person.

The sugar found in skim milk is the same sugar found in all milk. There's more in skim milk because the fat has been removed.

It's healthier than Almond Milk which is generally full of additives.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Good luck!

This is not true. Don't listen to this person.

The sugar found in skim milk is the same sugar found in all milk. There's more in skim milk because the fat has been removed.

It's healthier than Almond Milk which is generally full of additives.

This is the correct answer. Nothing special about almond milk at all. Drink the real stuff.
  • patebishop
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Good luck!

Why would she switch to soymilk if it's the skimming process that's the problem? Hint: It's not. Lactose is a naturally occurring sugar.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Sugar was responsible for World War II
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Good luck!

Good gravy. Nobody adds sugar to milk to make skim milk more palatable :( Where in the world do you get this info? It is absolutely wrong.

The sugar in milk is lactose. It occurs naturally. Humans produce it in there milk too.

As for whether it's good or bad... that depends on whether you're lactose intolerant. If you don't have a lactose intolerance, drink up! Assuming you like milk, that is. Otherwise, there are plenty of healthy alternatives.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I put sugar on a piece of corn and it started yelling racial slurs at my microwave. The microwave got deeply offended and refused to cook anything. I ended up drinking my sorrows away with an armless guy named Phil.
  • coronamommy
    coronamommy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    LMAO!:laugh:
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    Omg! I was not expecting such a huge debate when I clicked this thread! I vote skim milk is good!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on the milk. Some milk has added sugar in it, others don't. It doesn't necessarily have to be organic to not have added sugar, just check the ingredients...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have never seen sugar added to a milk other than flavored milk, such as strawberry, chocolate.