What time do you eat dinner?

Options
2»

Replies

• adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I start cooking at 5:30, eat at 6, clean up the kitchen, and get all 3 kids in and out of the bathtub and in bed by 8:30. Then I do a quick cleanup of the living room and bathroom, catch up on any tv I wanted to watch, and go to bed at 10:30. :) My life is very scheduled even though I'm a stay-at-home mom.

Totally know what you're saying. That sound EXACTLY like my life...lol I'm a stay at home mom too, and my life is also very scheduled.
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Generally, I like to eat at 5 or 5:30. If I eat at 6:30 or later, I feel too full when it is near bedtime. If I eat at 4:30, I want an evening snack, and that can be trouble if I want sweets. When I was in Europe, I was sightseeing and walking between 5 and 10 miles per day, so eating at 7 or 8 didn't bother me. I guess if you are active enough, eating late won't keep you up.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    eat whenever you like :)
  • wndnls
    wndnls Posts: 25
    Options
    I eat dinner around 5pm...I go to bed around 10...so If i do get hungry, I eat a low cal snack around 8pm.
    But then again, If I do eat late the next day I try to burn more calories...
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat supper around 7:00pm because I hit the treadmill as soon as I get home from work and before I eat. However, I'll have an apple or a banana around 4:30pm so that I have energy to work out and not starving. Eating late works great because it eliminates PM snacking.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    That's weird that your coworker makes fin of you for eating at that time. Most people eat at 5 or 6 I think. I try to shoot for that time. Sometmes I run late but I always feel bad when I do and we eat at 7 or after. I think the earlier the better although I do always find myself eating something before bed.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    For a long time I would start dinner around 5 or 5:30 and we would eat around 6 or so. But lately people have been saying that is way too early (or as my coworker put it 'what'd ya live in a nursing home?'). I always ate then because I was starving!

But now we are trying to eat later (7 or 8), which means a serious snack (200-400cal) around 5pm.

I'm not convinced, however. Aren't you supposed to avoid eating too close to bedtime? Could I just have dinner instead of snack, or would I just end up eating more, or getting hungry later?

I don't know... What do you guys think?
    Since you asked...I eat dinner by5:30...lunch at 12 so by 5 I'm hungry...then I eat an orange or an apple - sometimes yogurt - at night before bedtime - anytime between 9:30-10:30.....I'm at up 6am every single day..Monday, Tuesday. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and yep, Saturda and Sunday.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Usually sometime between 7 and 10. During the last few months, I've been eating late or in the middle of the night in a way I never used to do. I've been doing Intermittent Fasting (IF) for the last couple of days and that has helped me refrain from eating after dinner.
  • glpennington
    Options
    The late meal is part of a bigger plan based on keeping your metabolism constant so it always revved up to burn calories. It reflects well on the dietary requirements of a diabetic. The point is to keep your six meals and snacks per day so small that thru digestion and activity you are able to burn off what you consume. Many say that your late meals should be lean. They should never include starch or fruit sugars which turns to fat easily. However in reality, I have found that eating within two hours of going to bed usually results in sleep problems. I've also found that one tends to make their meals larger than required. As a result additional calories are consumed and fat is gained. I would suggest making your last meal of the day your smallest meal and to avoid eating within two hours of bed time because in the real world we tend to overdo it.
  • wanttobeskinny1212
    Options
    when i eat earlier i sometimes find it hard to stop eating but for some reason if i take a shower after eating it stops me from eating more and my body seems to recognise that it is full.A lot of the time i eat dinner at 5 or 4 and my dinner is generally between 400-600 kcal.If im realy hungry ill have a small snack around 7 or 8 like a small apple.I have noticed that using this method even if i ate too many calories in the morning i still lose weight.Its probably becasue my body has more time to burn it off.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    6:00-7:30 PM - I try not to eat past 8:00PM but sometimes unavoidable.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I like to eat somewhat early. Normal for me is 5:30-6 but I am fine with eating as late as 7. I am usually pretty hungry when I get off work at 5:00. Not so hungry that I can't wait awhile though.

I am not a snacker. I very rarely have a snack. I eat breakfast at 7 am, lunch around 11:30-12, and then dinner. If I have calories left for a "treat" I make it part of dinner usually.

This is just what makes me feel most satisfied. Everyone is different!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I eat dinner when it works for my schedule/when I'm hungry. Typically, this means between about 5:30/6:00, or if I workout directly after work it means 6:30/7:00. I think what you probably want to watch is how close to be you are eating, and how much you are eating relative to how close to bed you are. Example, I wouldn't be eating a massive dinner at 7:00 and then heading to bed at 9:00 because I wouldn't have been able to digest my food or use the energy I am getting from it.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Have dinner about5:00 or 5:30. My lunch on workdays is 10:30.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner around 8:30 PM. I don't know how people do 5-6 or whatever....I'm barely getting home from the office at 6/6:30. On gym nights I don't get home until 7:30.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    4pm (my husband works nights)
    Same here, though we are usually around 4:30-5:00pm.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My big meal of the day is at lunch, so supper time is usually something light and I eat it after my family does. Their supper is between 5-6pm, so my kitchen is shut down for the night (no snacking after supper), usually by 6:30ish :)
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I eat dinner whenever I am hungry and end up making it.

The old rule of not eating before bed, and having a good breakfast to start your day doesn't really exist anymore (not unless you like it).

New research states that it doesn't matter when you get calories just as long as you reach your calorie goal.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner around 6:00 - 6:30
    then have my final snack around 7:45 - 8:00pm