Too big to Zumba?

Options
So, I'm 235 lbs....(lost 30 lbs since Jan 2nd.) I've done Zumba (at home) about 5 times, and I think I'm just too big & clumsy. I can't move fast enough, and my hips & chest don't move, "in sync". Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this easier. Also, how many calories do you really burn in 1 hour doing Zumba? I normally use my elliptical for exercise, but my weight loss slowed down, so thought I needed to switch up my cardio a little bit. I need suggestions! MFP Friends, HELP!

Replies

• lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I started at 290 doing zumba. and i burn about 900-1100 calories in a hour. get out there, enjoy yourself. I prefer the class instead of the video. The energy keeps me going!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Keep on doing it! It took me a month before I could do all the moves somewhat correctly and I do it on the Wii. I started at 201. It will get easier the more you do it! Have fun with it and keep moving! Go to zumbacalories.com to figure your cals burned. Its an estimate but unless you have a HRM its the best to go by! Keep plugging away! You can do it! :)
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have the video for beginners— I start with that one. It's about an hour long and goes through each motion. And honestly, as long as you are working out, who cares how you look?! I bet you aren't as bad as you think.

My advice is if you really want to know how many calories you re burning, get a HRM and calculate your average heart rate during the exercise. Then you can calculate it easier. :)

Good luck!
  • RobbieKCPhT
    RobbieKCPhT Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started at 290 doing zumba. and i burn about 900-1100 calories in a hour. get out there, enjoy yourself. I prefer the class instead of the video. The energy keeps me going!

Do you use a Heart Rate monitor to tell cals burned? Or how do you REALLY know. I'm just getting started, barely can make it thru the instructional video.
  • RobbieKCPhT
    RobbieKCPhT Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Keep on doing it! It took me a month before I could do all the moves somewhat correctly and I do it on the Wii. I started at 201. It will get easier the more you do it! Have fun with it and keep moving! Go to zumbacalories.com to figure your cals burned. Its an estimate but unless you have a HRM its the best to go by! Keep plugging away! You can do it! :)

I appreicate your encouragement! Thank you! I won't give up, until I'm fit & fabulous again. :)
  • EllieMo1
    EllieMo1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I go 3 times a week or more to zumba classes at a studio near by and I always feel awkward. Lately it's helped to take a friend, so we can laugh about how terrible we are and practice our steps outside of class together. I spoke with the zumba instructor because I felt like I was 'disrupting' her class, because everyone is in sync and I'm in the back of the class jumping around, flinging my arms around, spinning around at least 3 steps late, huffing and puffing, and she' was so nice about my concern. She told me that people like us is why she teaches zumba; she showed me a photo of herself and she weighted over 300 pounds when she started and was just like me, awkward and sweaty. She told me to keep coming, because it's not about the skinny girls in the class or if I get the steps right, it's about me shaking my booty (even out of sync) and sweating! Keep going, you deserve to be there!
  • prettyeyez55
    prettyeyez55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    you are not too big! Trust me. I just started going to classes at a studio bc at home i was getting frustrated! I am 224 and last week I was 232! so keep going it is an awesome workout for us big girls!!
  • de2brown
    de2brown Posts: 33
    Options
    i have just started and i weigh more then you, i agree with you about feeling too big and clumsy, but hey, i enjoy it and you burn a lot doing it. just let go and enjoy it, don't worry if you don't do it as smooth as everyone alse
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    There are Zumba instructors out there bigger than you! Don;t worry about that. The important thing is not to be intimidated in the class when you see those super skinny gym rats in class
  • baloney17
    baloney17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was doing Zumba at my heaviest, which was about 275 - but didn't have a lot of "time" in my schedule - it was an excuse. When I started doing Zumba again I was at 245 and have been doing that as my Saturday morning routine for about a year now. I love it and burn on average 900-1000 calories, using my HRM. Now that I've lost 75lbs, I'm finding that people are watching ME for the right moves and even coming up with some ideas with the instructors. Now, I've danced my entire life, from a size 10 up to a size 20 so I really didn't have the clumsy issue, but I had the "I'm too big to move the way you do" at the start. As your pounds start to shed, you'll find it easier. I recommend taking a class with a GOOD instructor. There's nothing like feeding off the energy of the people around you. Everyone is there for the same reason, to be healthy AND to have fun. Don't be discouraged, stick with the fun!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    6'3, 300+ # man doing Zumba in a class with 1 other guy and the rest are ladies. if I am too big, no ones told me yet.
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    ANYONE can do Zumba. You move at your own pace and style in a class setting or at home. Don't be discouraged by not getting the moves down exact...the key is just move and have fun. Feel the music. It's a great way to loose weight. I have been doing it for about a year and the class mates come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. We are there just to leave some sweat on the floor and have a good time.
    Enjoy the extra energy you will get from an exercise program that makes you smile !!!
    I get my calories burned from zumbacalories.com also

Zumba Love !!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Oh pffft...there's no such thing!

In my classes (which are always packed), there are people of ALL kinds. Very large, elderly, men, teens, new people and the experts who take the class every day. It's a beautiful thing!! Some people just stand there and sort of sway, some people modify the movements to something they're capable of managing, I've encouraged several people who were worried about starting out, explaining that I felt like an elephant for a few months, but it does get better. Everyone is much too busy with their own moves and watching the instructor to pay any attention to your missed steps or wrong directions. And every time you do a class, you will get better...and better. Not to mention how much fun it is and how many calories you burn!

Go, have fun!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are not too big! Just work at your own pace and you'll get it. It is a great feeling when you finally learn the routine well enough to do it correctly all the way through. And for me that didn't happen quickly but I always had fun and was always soaked with sweat by the end.

As for calories burned, I log it as aerobics - high impact. That seems to be close since i lost at the rate MFP thought I should by eating those calories.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You are perfectly fine. The whole point of Zumba is to have fun while getting your work out. Just enjoy it and don't worry about anything else. At least you are there. Thats huge. Go for it and have a blast.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So, I'm 235 lbs....(lost 30 lbs since Jan 2nd.) I've done Zumba (at home) about 5 times, and I think I'm just too big & clumsy. I can't move fast enough, and my hips & chest don't move, "in sync". Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this easier. Also, how many calories do you really burn in 1 hour doing Zumba? I normally use my elliptical for exercise, but my weight loss slowed down, so thought I needed to switch up my cardio a little bit. I need suggestions! MFP Friends, HELP!

You aren't to fat, you are just not used to it therefore uncoordinated with Zumba. The more you do it the more insynch you'll get.. ;) And I am speaking from experience of not being very coordinated with Zumba...
    Anything worth doing is work.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Girl, go zumba your butt off (litteraly) and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I go 3 times a week or more to zumba classes at a studio near by and I always feel awkward. Lately it's helped to take a friend, so we can laugh about how terrible we are and practice our steps outside of class together. I spoke with the zumba instructor because I felt like I was 'disrupting' her class, because everyone is in sync and I'm in the back of the class jumping around, flinging my arms around, spinning around at least 3 steps late, huffing and puffing, and she' was so nice about my concern. She told me that people like us is why she teaches zumba; she showed me a photo of herself and she weighted over 300 pounds when she started and was just like me, awkward and sweaty. She told me to keep coming, because it's not about the skinny girls in the class or if I get the steps right, it's about me shaking my booty (even out of sync) and sweating! Keep going, you deserve to be there!
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I wish everyone had instructors like that!!!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It takes me a while to get muscle memory for new moves of any sort. Don't worry about whether you are hitting the steps at the right time or whether your hips are up when they are supposed to be down. Move what you've got as close as you can to the instructor's directions. Sooner or later, your body will hit the rhythm. Even if you don't get the moves right, you are burning calories, which is the point.