I think crystal lite is part of my problem?

Options

Replies

• lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    poe has a point...with the tea I drink (while I avoid aspartame) it does have caffeine.

to each their own.
  • tvnq
    tvnq Posts: 2
    Options
    i really dont know about drinking crystal lite. I used to drink it all the time, until i saw what it did to the glass i used to drink it. It didnt necessarily stain the glass but it left this white kinda dinge to it. it would wash off true, but after seeing what it did to the glass kinda made me think what is it doing to my body? i dunno maybe it was just the powder seperating but it was enough to turn me off of crystal lite
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    <
    3 to 5 cans of diet soda a day and down 50 pounds and at my goal weight.

I'm willing to bet if someone is having trouble with their weight loss goals there are more substantial things they could be scrutinizing than a zero calorie beverage.
  • kriskoeh
    kriskoeh Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't personally like anything containing artificial sweetener. It's just not for me. But if you think you'll have a problem giving it up, why don't you consider an infusion pitchers (found on amazon) and try infusing your own tea with fruit flavors. Much better for you!!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    chemicals are NEVER good for you !! :noway:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Yup that stuff is terrible for you. Do some more research on it, its quite astounding the number of diseaeses artificial sweetners are linked too.

mmmkay.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that I, personally, can't handle the artificial sweetner. It makes me suffer intense migraines. I have often heard diet drinks keep you from losing weight though... :flowerforyou:
    I can tell you that until I gave up diet soda I couldn't lose a pound but when I quit drinking 4 12oz cans/day and added water I have lost 10 lbs :happy:
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Actually artifical sweetners like aspartame and saccharin have been studied extensively and there has not been any significant research that has linked them to any major diseases. However, there is some current research that suggests it does affect portions of the brain (in the brain) similar to drinks sweetened with regular sugars. However this research has been limited to rats and have been unable to be replicated in primate studies. I agree with Poe, don't believe everything you read at least unless it can be backed up by reputable research. However, each person is different and you notice a personal difference than do what is better for you. I did see a comment about headaches and some people that drink these sweeteners have reported this but there is no long term significant issues associated with these artificial sweeteners and for the most part are considered safe.
    I only comment because I do study this stuff.

I would also say that a diet that is as natural as possible is probably the best. i.e. Michael Pollen's Food Rules.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Also, the problem with diet soda is typically not the artificial sweetner but the added sodium that is associated with it.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It could be. I found that diet soda was making me hungry and I usually paired up the sweet addiction with salt and fat (i.e. burger and fries). It was a terrible cycle for me. The easiest way for me to break it was to give up diet soda. I switched over to Crystal Light and I've been doing much better, but everyone is different. Some people think the fake sugar doesn't affect them, but I know it does affect me.

Diet soda has the same sweetener as Crystal Light.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think moderation is a key. I completely cut out all sodas (diet or otherwise) and it really jumpstarted my weight loss for the first month. I try to drink a lot of water but I need other alternatives and I try not to drink calories. I drink a glass or two of either Crystal Light lemonade or unsweetened iced tea per day on average along with about half a gallon of water and a few cups of coffee (not ready to give that up yet) and have maintained fairly consistent weight loss over the past several months. Personally I like the variety of having lemonade without a lot of calories and I find it very hard to drink only water. I did go a few weeks with water and coffee only but didn't see any benefits on the scale or in the way I felt so I went back to the glass or two of Crystal Light lemonade or unsweetened iced tea per day and it seems fine to me. At times I want to cut out everything and try to have a perfect diet but then reality hits and I find I am most successful when I can just strike a good balance.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Also, the problem with diet soda is typically not the artificial sweetner but the added sodium that is associated with it.

Which diet soda has a lot of sodium? The ones I have looked at have very little.

I am not trying to say that diet soda is healthy but I don't believe sodium is one reason why.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Personally, Crystal Light doesn't have a negative effect on anything for me. I drink usually 2 packets a day(the one's for the water bottle). It just helps me increase my water intake. A gallon does seem a bit excessive though...try diluting it :happy:
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Actually artifical sweetners like aspartame and saccharin have been studied extensively and there has not been any significant research that has linked them to any major diseases. However, there is some current research that suggests it does affect portions of the brain (in the brain) similar to drinks sweetened with regular sugars. However this research has been limited to rats and have been unable to be replicated in primate studies. I agree with Poe, don't believe everything you read at least unless it can be backed up by reputable research. However, each person is different and you notice a personal difference than do what is better for you. I did see a comment about headaches and some people that drink these sweeteners have reported this but there is no long term significant issues associated with these artificial sweeteners and for the most part are considered safe.
    I only comment because I do study this stuff.

I would also say that a diet that is as natural as possible is probably the best. i.e. Michael Pollen's Food Rules.

I agree with you. I've read/heard the same things. My whole house has been drinking diet soda/crystal light and there's been no problems with any of us and hasn't stopped anyone from losing weight. Except I gave up soda and probably have about 2 cups a month.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Which diet soda has a lot of sodium? The ones I have looked at have very little.

I am not trying to say that diet soda is healthy but I don't believe sodium is one reason why.

you're right. that's a weird talking point that constantly comes up, despite the fact that diet soda has next to nothing in the sodium department.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes and the nutritionist at hospital told me to leave real sugar alone and add equal or splenda to replace sugar. Not much of a choice ??? I do drink between 8 - 12 glasses of water as well as my coffee and diet iced tea and a occsional diet soda. Only sweet and low makes me ill ??
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options

I checked it also and there's only about 70 milligrams so I don't know why I couldn't get any wt off unless it was just that I wasn't drinking ANY water
  • mellowwine
    Options
    I became addicted to the flavored carbonated water from Wal-Mart when I gave up regular soda some years back. I couldn't drink a lot of the diet sodas because I'd get an allergic reaction to the saccharine, etc. Then they started using aspartame which didn't bother me and that was what sweetened the flavored fizzy water at Wal-Mart. It didn't have any calories, sodium or sugar. But I pretty much stopped drinking plain water. I also started having cravings for regular sweets, the kind with REAL sugar! That's when I noticed the studies that were being published that said the same thing -- doctors felt that artificial sweeteners didn't fool the body which wants the real thing. Then my doctor got concerned that I was mildly dehydrated. So, no more fizzy water. I started drinking lots of regular old plain water. Doing much better! So, I guess my answer is YES, watch your consumption of Crystal Lite or any of the other artificially sweetened drinks.
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetener, just like most everything else in life, effect people differently.
    I personally have no problems associated with them. I use them with no issues or regret.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    That stuff is so strong. I take no more than a 1/3 per glass of water/ water bottle.