Greek Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    DH looked at the price and said " are you seriously going to buy that" Then he tried it! The plain as a sour cream substitute in vegie dip and for baked potatoes. And the honey flavored to eat with fruit.
    He a convert now!
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    ok. What IS greek yogurt?

Greek style yogurt is strained, so the liquids are much lower, has a higher level of culture in it, so it is very thick! 20 grams of protein in just 1 cup. very satisfying and gives you a full feeling for hours! Loaded with calcium. there are 3 fat values. 0% 2% and 3 1/2 % just like milk! The calories are incredibly low for the substitutions application, and it is great with fresh fruit etc. food value high, calories low! win, win!

Trader joe's has their own brand of it and the price is about half that of Fage and some other brands!
  • Veracruz4
    Veracruz4 Posts: 22
    Options
    my favorite way to eat Greek yogurt is in a curry stew with cauliflower, chickpeas, carrots, and brown rice (and a dash of fresh cilantro on top). It pairs wonderfully with curry!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I want to say the Greek yogurt I bought MUST have been spoiled rotten because there is no way on earth anyone could actually eat that stuff and like it. :sick:

I had Fage with honey. I pushed myself past the first bite, the second bite, past the third bite. Finally, at halfway through the container, I threw it away before I threw up.

Count me out, I am NOT a fan.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You can also just strain plain, fat free yogurt (with no thickening additives) through a few layers of cheesecloth (or in my case, an outgrown organic unbleached cotton onesie! :laugh: ). You place the cloth in a fine mesh sieve and rest it over a bowl, covered, in the fridge for 6 to 24 hours depending on the thickness you want. I've even used it as a base for icing on cake or just spread it on crackers plain. It's amazingly diverse and can replace any creamy, thick dairy product and offer protein, calcium and much less sodium too! GREAT stuff.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I have even mixed a small amount with honey mustard, just a dab and had a fake mayonnaise fix on a sandwich! Try it you will love the results!
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    I also use Fage with my salad dressing, my kids like creamy Italian and Ranch so I Use a bit of the 0% fat and wip it up in my magic bullet with red wine vinager and fresh herbs and they love it.

I also put it in my smoothies and protein drinks. Love it any way you serve it!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :smooched: :love: Greek Yogurt... sigh.... :love: :heart: :heart: Try Fage sometime. It's my favorite brand of greek yogurt. SOOOOOOOOOOO good.

I haven't seen Fage around yet.
    I kinda live in no-mans-land.
    I can't even find Almond milk!

Make your own almond mik!!!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I got some Bear Naked Fit granola today I'm going to put in it! Maybe with a little honey too mmm
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :smooched: :love: Greek Yogurt... sigh.... :love: :heart: :heart: Try Fage sometime. It's my favorite brand of greek yogurt. SOOOOOOOOOOO good.

I haven't seen Fage around yet.
    I kinda live in no-mans-land.
    I can't even find Almond milk!

Make your own almond mik!!!

Yeah, see that doesn't sound fun or easy at all.
    I figure if making my own...like butter, mayo, etc..... is the only option, I can pretty much do without it.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You can also just strain plain, fat free yogurt (with no thickening additives) through a few layers of cheesecloth (or in my case, an outgrown organic unbleached cotton onesie! :laugh: ). You place the cloth in a fine mesh sieve and rest it over a bowl, covered, in the fridge for 6 to 24 hours depending on the thickness you want. I've even used it as a base for icing on cake or just spread it on crackers plain. It's amazingly diverse and can replace any creamy, thick dairy product and offer protein, calcium and much less sodium too! GREAT stuff.

I strain my plain yogurt also w/ 2 coffee filters. Works great! It is really creamy and yummy!! :bigsmile: