Ugh.. hurt my hand lifting... suggestions?

Options
Okay, so I think I overworked or strained my right hand while doing tricep extensions today. I increased my weight and it was really challenging for me, and I seem to have weak wrists I noticed. It's sore when I move it a certain way.
Do you lifters ever get these kind of pains? Do I put ice on it?
I know you're not Doctors, but it's not excruciating pain, it's just pain. Does anyone else have weak wrists/hands and does it get better?

Thanks

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you might have been using bad form and ended up hurting your wrist. watch your form next gym visit, and in the meantime, put alternating hot and cold on your wrist.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you might have been using bad form and ended up hurting your wrist. watch your form next gym visit, and in the meantime, put alternating hot and cold on your wrist.

I'm sure I probably was using bad form. I used the machine so I thought it would help me have better form, but it didn't really feel right, I just thought I might have been using too much weight. I work out in a rehab center and the staff is always busy with patients so I hate to interrupt them, but I;ll try and grab someone next time. I'm new to lifting (properly). Thanks for the suggestion, I'll alternate ice and heat and give it a couple days rest.
  • docktorfokse
    Options
    in the future, i recommend you try more free weight exercises. of course i'll advocate free weights, but it really is more natural than using machines and you're less likely to get injured. ExRx (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html) has a list of exercises by muscle group you can look through and try, and it includes bodyweight and dumbbell exercises if you don't feel quite comfortable walking up to the barbell rack too.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    in the future, i recommend you try more free weight exercises. of course i'll advocate free weights, but it really is more natural than using machines and you're less likely to get injured. ExRx (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html) has a list of exercises by muscle group you can look through and try, and it includes bodyweight and dumbbell exercises if you don't feel quite comfortable walking up to the barbell rack too.

Thanks! I've been looking for a good souce for that! I only know a few loves. I am doing SOME free weights. I rather like the barbell rack and I'm doing 65 lb (woohoo lol) overhead presses and same shoulder raises, I haven't attempted squats yet. I use the leg press machine for that and I can do 140 (barely) . I did incline bench barbell curls today for the first time and I could only use 15 pound weights, and man was I struggling to get 8 reps out... I really thought I was going to be able to do at least 20 pounds. I actually hired a personal trainer but we haven't started our sessions yet :/ I'm a weakling, but gradually figuring out some stuff on my own. I just wish my wrists/hands were stronger, I feel like they want to give out before my muscles sometimes.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    * that was supposed to "moves" not "Loves" :)
  • docktorfokse
    Options
    you'll definitely want to check out some of the forearm exercises to help with your grip strength.

and dumbbell bench presses do tend to be a little on the difficult side since you're working harder to stabilize and balance the weights.