40 and harder to lose?

Options
lmk5
lmk5 Posts: 12 Member
I turned 40 this past year and it seems harder to keep the weight off. Anyone with me in feeling like your metabolism has stopped? I've never been this heavy except when I was pregnant. It's a little depressing. I need to figure out how to kick start myetsbolism
again.

Replies

• downwardmoving1965
    Options
    Yup. 47, peri meno, and holay...hard to keep my weight from going up and up. I have gained 30 pounds in a year. On top of the 100 I already have to lose. Gah.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes and no... I know our metabolisms change with the years, but don't underestimate the life experience and common sense that you have (hopefully!) gained by the time you're 40 and the impact of that on your weight loss experience.

I've found losing weight this time round sooooo much easier than every before - and it's nothing to do with the physical aspect, it's all mental.

I KNOW that I'm not going to lose weight overnight,
    I KNOW that if I don't lose 10 pounds by Monday the world won't end,
    I KNOW that if I persist with eating healthy most days and don't beat myself up over a bad choice now and again that I can stay at this weight for the long term.

I'm not madly undereating (I've never even been close to 1200 cals a day, I'd die eating so little!), I'm not obsessively exercising for 2 hours a day (who needs it?) and I'm not pinning my happiness on a scale number or swimsuit size on a particular date.

It's not to say it's been easy, there have been times when I've made very foolish food choices, and when I've injured myself running and wanted to give it all up - but I KNOW that if I persist I will succeed. I was never so sure of that when I was 20.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 this past year and it seems harder to keep the weight off. Anyone with me in feeling like your metabolism has stopped? I've never been this heavy except when I was pregnant. It's a little depressing. I need to figure out how to kick start myetsbolism
    again.
    I'm 42 and it wasnt hard to lose 83 lbs at all. Exercise for 1 hour each and every day (when possible), 2nd. eat atleast 1 gram of protein for every lb. of body weight. When it comes to your metabolism, protein is the hottest burning food source there is, the more you eat the faster and for a longer period of time your metabolism will burn.
    3rd. eat at a slight deficit and eat healthy.
    4th. dont let the """ slow metabolism excuse""" give you a reason to fail!!!
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    I've seen both sides of the coin in the past year! I moved to a new state, had several major life changes, gained 20+ pounds. I thought at first...it's all the changes, I hit 40 in the middle of the feeding frenzy... (Took me 8 months to gain the weight.) I looked in the mirror in January and said "What in the world am I doing?" I started walking everyday, I cut out all the crap that I was eating. I took away my " I can eat anything I want card". I've settled into a routine of exercise everyday. (except when I was sick for 2 weeks and in the hospital, of course) I eat 95 % whole foods. (meaning nothing processed) I eat fruit, veggies, dairy, chicken or fish EVERYDAY. I watch my calories. (I get in my 1200 daily..except when I was sick) I look at each day ONE AT A TIME. Yes, I have a goal that I want to get to. I want to build more lean muscle mass. Will I gain some weight doing this, I'm sure I will. Am I ok with that? Sure I am. I was 157 when I stepped on the scale in January. I'm 123 today. 16 weeks of just doing it right.
    The bottom line is...you get a CHOICE in how 40 is going to go for you. I was making a CHOICE to not eat right and be active. I made a CHOICE to stop the BS and get on track to a healthier me.
    It all boils down to....how bad do you want it?
    Good luck!! And you can friend me if you want support.