Percentage of nutrition

Options
anewrac
anewrac Posts: 52 Member
Hi,

Following information that I picked up from Jillian Michaels site, I have set my goals to 50% protein, 20% carbs 30% fat.

I have 23kg to lose. Do you think this is right?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Rachel

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ive heard. Of different ones I just use mfps predetermined and have done fine. I don't think you have to ingest a ton of protien like that
  • anewrac
    Options
    I've just changed it to MFPs recommended goals and it's set my cals to 1200, carbs 55%, protein 15% fat 30%.

Do I stick with that and maybe increase the cals to 1400?
  • palmerig88
    Options
    What do you weigh in pounds. If you have less than 40 pounds to lose just eat the cals to lose 1 pound per week. You can eat your exercise cals too they lower your net intake
  • palmerig88
    Options
    I prob shouldn't be advising you cause I don't track carbs lol so hope someone else jumps in
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile pics and informations, (how much are your exercising ? ) I'd try 1800-1900 calories:
    50% carbs/ 25% fat/ 25% proteins
  • anewrac
    Options
    Based on your profile pics and informations, (how much are your exercising ? ) I'd try 1800-1900 calories:
    50% carbs/ 25% fat/ 25% proteins

Not much at the moment. I'm trying to get motivated and go walking for 30 mins each day. We're travelling around Oz at the mo and it's been difficult to exercise. I weigh 87kg at the moment.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I think the default MFP settings are completely backwards --- they do not work for me.

I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat --- this works even better for people who have PCOS or type ii diabetics. In fact, if you have both the settings mentioned above by Jillian would probably work even better if you can sustain it.

Protein is what keeps you feeling full ..... thats why it works so well eating/drinking more.
  • anewrac
    Options
    I think the default MFP settings are completely backwards --- they do not work for me.

I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat --- this works even better for people who have PCOS or type ii diabetics. In fact, if you have both the settings mentioned above by Jillian would probably work even better if you can sustain it.

Protein is what keeps you feeling full ..... thats why it works so well eating/drinking more.

Thanks, they don't seem realistic do they? I'm trying to work out my daily cals from my bmr at the moment. Have you lost all that weight on the percentages you mentioned?
  • anewrac
    Options
    MFP set my daily calories to 1200. It just doesn't seem right and so many people have said that they have changed theirs to a higher amount. I'm just sooooooo confused about it.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein
    I find I'm usually never over in any of them...
    I've also changed my calorie goal...
    MFP put me at 1200 I thought it was to low for the amout of exercise I was doing
    so I upped it to 1400 and lost 2.8 pounds in 2 weeks
    I just upped it again to 1545 which is my BMR
    also...I do eat back most of my exercise calories...
  • texasheathers
    texasheathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was doing 40% carbs, 30% Fat, 30% Protein - because I'm insulin resistant and I need to watch carbs. I wish I could cut down to 20% carbs - but frankly I can't live like that - I'd lose it. I did change it tonight to 35 Carbs, 30 Fat, 35% Protein because the paperwork from my doctor said to eat no more than 130 carbs a day - 100 carbs or under for better weight loss, but not less then 40 carbs a day. I have been pretty successful keeping my carbs down 60 - 70 most days. The settings that were on here were too high in carbs for me.
  • anewrac
    Options
    Thanks guys ;)