Strength training

Options
I know nothing about it... please point me in the right direction... how do I start?

I cannot go to a gym at the moment, I might be able to do a bit at home (After midsummer I might be able to also get to a gym but before that it is impossible for me). Any recommendation will be very much appreciated and if anybody who can guide me through strength training wants to friend me - please do. I really need help and guidance!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use free weights and machines - the machines are at a gym. It is possible to do this at home provided you have the weights or resistance bands. I use old books as reference - Rachel McLish "Perfect Parts" and Cory Everson "Superflex". Rachel was the first Ms Olympia, both were body builders when women were barely welcome in the gym - and without steroids. Direction provided by both books still apply.

Both books have detailed direction, photos to accompany every movement. Both books are available, used or new, on Amazon.

I have just gotten onto MFP and just started seriously trying to get back in shape so my profile may be discouraging right now. However, I can be on the journey with you and we can help each other.
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    I just started. I bought a weight set at walmart for 20 bucks. I had a friend show me workouts. I also looked up A LOT of exercises on youtube. I also, bought resistant bands today. This is the weight set I have http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb.-Cement-Weight-Set/11089970
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! Will check those books and I am currently looking into buying some weights to use at home for the time being.

After I posted this topic a few days ago I got some very good aedvice and bought The New Roles of Lifitng for Women and am actually half-way through it. I found it such a good read - not only informative but also very entertaining :D

My hubby used to have some heavy weights that were gathering dust for over 4-5 years so a year ago I threw them away... I wish I knew better :(