UK 'clean' eaters - Trying out Aldi. What to avoid?

Options
2»

Replies

• lshafik
    lshafik Posts: 20
    Options
    As your best friend I can HIGHLY recommend.

I cook from scratch EVERY DAY and I only shop at Aldi. (In fact my Jewish Grandmother, you know how picky she is, LOVES aldi and only shops there)

Their frozen fish is AMAZING.

I never buy pasta, I don't like it.

Their veg is good but fruit is not...but I only go siansburys for fruit anyway.

Their variety of cold meats is GREAT, they have tonnes of variety at low prices compared to other supermarkets. Where Aldi's is standard other supermarkets have it in their *finest range...FAR MORE EXPENSIVE.

I don't buy frozen veg anyway, apart from peas and their petit pois are lovely.

They have a massive variety of cheese too including a goats cheese which is nice.

I honestly swear by Aldi... xx
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If it's like Lidl, take some carrier bags with you else you gotsa buy them :-((
  • lshafik
    lshafik Posts: 20
    Options
    Oh and their free range meat is TOP quality and cheaper than anywhere else.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I sometimes shop at Aldi here in Germany. I didn't know they had Aldi in the US either. Anyway, the stores vary. Some are very good and others not so. They have decent pre-packaged deli meats and I buy their water. I buy their bolognese sauce occasionally but I only get their pasta if they have whole grand and the one nearest to me usually doesn't. Like another poster, I find that their fruit and veggies go bad very fast so if you're not going to use it in the next 3 days or so, don't buy it. That's my 2 cents anyway. Between Lidl and Aldi I can get almost everything I need. Except lactose free milk. I go to Rewe for that.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ALDI!!!!!!!!! <3

They've got a line of "Fit & Active" foods that I basically live on. I've tried just about every item in the line now, and I haven't found one I didn't like yet.

Besides that, as others have said, they have produce and meats. I buy their bagged chicken breasts, turkey burger meat and my all my fruit/veggies there. EXCELLENT prices.
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    agree with reading labels, but i'd got used to shopping in asda and i didn't have to and knew my 'trusted' foods off by heart - now i have to start all over again! grrrh!

i take my own bags anyway and i *think* i've got a trolley coin keyring lying around somewhere....

i reckon i'll be ok fruit-wise, the girls generally hoover up any fruit i buy, in one sitting :D so that's ok for them.

didn't get to have a look around today as my eldest was adamant she did not want to go into town, but i have looked on their website and made a sort of rudimentary list - i will just have to see if they have everything stocked that i need. i have tried not to be too over expectant for the first few trips there. lols i hope i'm pleasantly surprised!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Their fruit and veg is very well priced but I agree don't buy it too far ahead. I think they are a German company, there's always a lot of German style meat products, but you'll also find the usual meats and their fish fingers are the best ever in my opinion. Also like their part baked dinner rolls and tampons are the cheapest I've ever seen them - not that you should be eating too many of those ;-)

Lol @ the "not that you should be eating many of those." Hahaha!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ALDI!!!!!!!!! <3

They've got a line of "Fit & Active" foods that I basically live on. I've tried just about every item in the line now, and I haven't found one I didn't like yet.

Besides that, as others have said, they have produce and meats. I buy their bagged chicken breasts, turkey burger meat and my all my fruit/veggies there. EXCELLENT prices.

Your list sounds exactly like mine when I go there!
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Man, Aldi is the bomb! I had no idea it was european, that makes me feel 'cool' and not 'cheap' when I go there now! haha!

Yup, they have plenty of 'whole foods' available, although I also pick up convenience foods for lazy weeknight dinners.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stick up for Aldi's veg....their bananas are cheap and not manky :) They have a 'fyffes' label on them.

They have avocados in at the minute and if you like hummus theirs is fab with a decent best before date - I find that the ones from other supermarkets need to be eaten within a short period of time.

Their tinned fish is fab too but I've never tried the meat.

My teen son who is a pitta bread connoisseur ;) will only eat Aldi's so they must be good for a teen to rate something non-branded ;)