Which is the best alcohol for dieting?

Options
HI,

I'm new at this diet and I have 1200 calories a day to play with. I know that drinking alcohol whilst on a diet isn't the best way to start, but i'm going to a party tonight which has been arranged for a while and I can't get out of it. Therefore, i'm wondering which alcohol available in to buy in the UK is low cal and best to drink whilst dieting? Any suggestions? Hope the weight loss is going well for you all.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    vodka and diet coke - the only calories are from the alcohol
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Unless you're going to stop after 1 glass of red wine it's pretty unlikely you'll stay in calorie defecit today.

Relax, consider it a day (or an evening) off the diet and climb back on tomorrow.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    From purely a weight loss standpoint, lower calories is best - so vodka and soda (not tonic/quinine), scotch on the rocks, etc...will be lowest cal options...other wise light beer or white wine. Don't do anything like Baileys or mixed juice drinks. I would ragther eat than drink, but my wife likes her fermented grapes :smile:
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bacardi and Diet Coke also isn't a bad option (to be honest, clear spirits in general tend to be relatively low-cal).

I usually try to steer clear completely unless it's a planned event though - I find it's not so much the drink calories, it's the inevitable drunken lack of willpower and subsequent takeaway box of grease!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Gin and slimline tonic is my usual 'good' drink :-))
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    vodka and diet coke is really low in calories! :smile:
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    I tend to drink wine, which isn't low calorie but when I have a night out or meal out planned I make sure I eat really well before and a few days after so I have plenty of extra calories to play with. I also do some extra exercise, that way if one drink turns to many I don't have to worry too much! As long as you are under calories overall for the week, even if you go really far over one day it doesn't matter.
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree. Clear spirits and diet coke or soda are the lowest cal options (or if you're into wine try a spritzer) but the key problem for me is the inevitable munchies later into the evening or the need for hangover comfort food the next day :o)

I say have fun and then make up for it in the gym over the next couple of days!
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just have one or two glasses of white wine with lots of ice, so you water down the drink. I know it doesnt sound nice, but in the bigger picture, the weightloss wins hands down!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    The alcohol heirarchy (this takes only cals into consideration and is subject to variation depending on brand etc) -

Spirits and 0 cal mixers (such as soda water or diet softdrink)
    Dry red wine
    Light beer
    Other sweeter wines
    Heavier beers
    Spirits and softdrink/juice (eg coke)
    Sugarry pre-mixed drinks, such as Bacardi Breezers
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Gin and diet tonic.
  • rebeccah1989
    Options
    Thanks,

I know i wont stick to the calorie intake today but i dont want to over do it too much. Think I may search the supermarkets after work for a light beer or low cal wine. I'm doing well so far and don't want to ruin it too much. How are you all finding it. It's a lot easier than i anticipated, I'm not good at sticking to diets but i'm finding that listing what i'm eating each day is helping as it's making me more aware of my food intake and the amount i need/dont need.
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally go for anything with diet coke... vodka, lime and soda water is probs the best.. not full of sugar and *kitten*
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    you can buy weight watchers wine for asda and tesco at only 75cals a glass....think smirnoff vodka is around 79cals per 25mls xx
  • afrikat
    afrikat Posts: 14
    Options
    I tend to stick to gin and slimline tonic or vodka, fresh lime and soda. occasionally i have a glass of red wine or a coors light. i have been on MFP since January and have lost 24lbs despite drinking most weekends - I just work out loads earlier in the day, don't let myself snack once I have started drinking and make sure I stick to healthy options the next day. i could probably have lost more without the booze but I have too much fun going out partying to give it up :)
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Vodka, bacardi and gin and tonic are low calorie IF you're drinking pub measures. The old 25ml (just under 2 tablespoons) measure will be 50 calories for any spirit. But most pubs now sell 35ml measures which is roughly 75 and in a party situation, most people would pour twice that. A glass of 175ml dry wine will be about 100 - a lower alcohol wine, say vinho verde at 11% is very likely to be lower than a red from a hot country at 14%. So, on a calorie basis, it may not make much difference. I'd say that wine makes me more hungry and gives me more of a hangover, so choosing spirits can be better overall.

I've replaced my evening glass of red with a Tesco sugarfree lime cordial, fizzy water and a generous shake of angostora bitter, this has 20 cals. Put the angostora in last to make the most of its fragrance and flavour. The lime cordial is made with sweetener, but that doesn't bother me. I serve this in a wine glass with a little ice and it really satisfies the desire. At the weekend I have some wine and exercise a little more.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Good quality tequilla is a really clean spirit to drink,

I restrict my drinking (unless theres something Im going to) usually just to a weekend.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you're not on a strict diet (eat only what is on the list) then I wouldn't worry about alcohol calories, only thing to watch out for is sugary drinks plus food, don't get drunk and eat everything :D I drink pretty frequently myself, the only thing I look out when I do is doing some exercises earlier in the day, even if it's walking, if I go to a club I don't worry since I will dance out all these alcohol calories anyway :) So move your body and everything will be fine. If you're really worries stick to vodka with diet coke or lemon.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    No alcohol is good for dieting.

But if you must drink, have a quick carb about an hour before drinking.
    Eat nothing while you drink.
    After youve gone an urinated every last drop of alcohol from your system have your meal.

The body views alcohol as a toxin and will try to purge it before anything else.
    So if you have food in the system it tends to get partitioned to fat.

Some things you just have to give up for a while....unless its sunday!
    Sunday everything goes!
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    Just be careful of the low calorie beer & wine, some of it is really high in sugar so you have to watch out for that. Enjoy the party though and don't worry too much! :drinker: