Female Question

tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I was wondering if anyone has been on the depo shot and has gained weight... i have been on it for about 6 1/2 months and have gained about 15-20 lbs i'm doing everything i can to workout eat right and nothing, i keep going up and down with my weight and im wondering if it's due to my depo shot since it's suppose to trick your body into thinking your pregnant so you don't get a period so i wonder if it's not allowing my body to lose weight cause it think it needs it for a pregnancy... Has anyone delt with the same problems and if so did you get off the shot and see results ?? I just can't seem to lose weight and im trying to pin point the problem...

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I was wondering if anyone has been on the depo shot and has gained weight... i have been on it for about 6 1/2 months and have gained about 15-20 lbs i'm doing everything i can to workout eat right and nothing, i keep going up and down with my weight and im wondering if it's due to my depo shot since it's suppose to trick your body into thinking your pregnant so you don't get a period so i wonder if it's not allowing my body to lose weight cause it think it needs it for a pregnancy... Has anyone delt with the same problems and if so did you get off the shot and see results ?? I just can't seem to lose weight and im trying to pin point the problem...

I gained about 20-25 within a year of being on the depo shot. I know for sure that is what made me gain weight fast. That shot was my downfall lol. I went from being 5'7 125 lbs forever to 165 lbs before I got off the shot.
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Hi

I think if thats the only big change thats occurred lately then it is most likely the depo. I have never taken it myself but alot of my friends and relatives who take it put on ALOT of weight and they complain about the same thing its really hard for them to lose weight when they are on it. I only know 1 girl out of 5 that take it and her weight hasnt been affected.

The female hormones are complicated!! everytime I have my monthly cycle I seem to put on an extra kilo!!! hmmmm..
  • tammietifanie
    Have you noticed any change since getting off it? I heard it can take up to a year for your body to get normal after getting off but its not just causing weight gain it's causing mood swings and depression so im looking into what birth control doesn't cause so much weight gain and crazy side effects..

I gained about 20-25 within a year of being on the depo shot. I know for sure that is what made me gain weight fast. That shot was my downfall lol. I went from being 5'7 125 lbs forever to 165 lbs before I got off the shot.
    [/quote]
  • freezeframe
    freezeframe Posts: 184
    I have been on depo for 10 years now. I was in a bad car accident just before I started and couldn't work out anymore so I gained weight at the same as I went on it. So can't really blame the shot, since I stopped working out at the same time. I have lost over 40 pounds now and don't seem to be having too much trouble doing it, so I don't think the shot is affecting my losing. The brochure on it says you may gain 5-8 pounds the first year you are on it.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    My sister gained some weight when she did the depo shot, not sure how much she gained though. However when she got off the shot, she bled for 3 weeks straight! Not sure if that happens to everyone but that freaked me out enough to never try it.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    yeah my friend gained weight too. probably isn't impossible to take off the weight, just harder. good luck!
  • lucky01day
    lucky01day Posts: 21 Member
    I took it for about a year and prob gained about 10lbs, however, I wasn't exactly being super healthy at that point either so I can't honestly say it was the shot soley that did it... it took me just over a year for my body to get back to normal though as far as periods go after I quit getting it though :)
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I got off depo about 7-8 years ago but do not recall any mood swings or depression or anything like that. I'm sure everyone experiences different side effects. I dont recall any negative side effects after getting off the shot.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Not to scare you but every woman I know that has had that shot, had a terrilbe time trying to get pregnant. I would never recommend it. I tried Norplant when it first came out about 16 years ago and I gained immediately and it did not matter what I did, I could not stop it, so I had it taken out. My body never did go back to normal and it took me 8 years to concieve my second child. Be careful!
  • tammietifanie
    I don't mind if i dont' have another baby i have three and im only 24 years old so im kinda done having babies... but i do worry about it messing up my system and not having a period is really screwing up my body!! Im looking into just the pill but those scare me cause i hear so many people saying they got pregnant while taking the pill and i really can't have any more babies at this time...... Why can't they make the males take pills, depo shot and deal with the mood swings :laugh: :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.