Depressed From A Good Size Gain

Options
Hi all! I've been going through a major life change that has me so depressed I've gained weight. I've been trying to get back on track this past week, but it's slow-going with the pounds. I need to find the spark & motivation I had before. Plus I'm worried that "depression" will keep the cortisol levels high & I will struggle further with my weight loss efforts.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks so much!

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    In the past year and a half, I had to close my restaurant, my mom died, my husband hates his job and hasn't been paid in two months. In other words, I am so right there with you! I have a bumper sticker that says running is cheaper than therapy. Exercise really helps, but it is so hard to just do it. I have a 10 minute rule. I make myself do 10 minutes of something. If after 10 minutes I still just don't want to or can't do it anymore, I stop. I almost never stop and when I have I was physically ill. I always joke that I wish I got the good kind of depression where you lose your appetite. I get the eat a whole pizza by myself kind. Baby steps and day by day.
    Try not to get overwhelmed with the all or nothing feeling that seems to happen at the start. Good luck!
  • jenniferlynn2477
    jenniferlynn2477 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You know what's going on so that is half the battle. I've battled depression for years and sometimes its better than others. Sometimes its worse than others and if you have it its hard to explain to people (my husband included) how you just feel down when there may be no reason for it. Right now I'm suffering from pink eye and the flu and I just don't have the energy to exercise, but I am watching what I eat and making sure I stay where I need to in the way of calories.

Don't forget that you share these moments so you get that bit of uplifting advice and encouragement as you're doing this journey. Losing weight is hard and I'm 34 and finding its a heck of a lot easier to gain a pound than to lose one. Exercise is great and will help and get outside and let the sunshine help uplift your mood too, don't give up and remember you're not alone!:happy: