Is Kinect on XBOX a good idea for exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• katebigue
    katebigue Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Zumba fitness Rush. works great. You can have a single song to a short class to a full class. That is for the xbox 360 kinect
  • katebigue
    katebigue Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    with the zumba rush fitness you can loss 100 or better, depending on which dance you do and if you a single,short,or full class.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's a good way to get moving at home as it's fun. I use it on days where I can't get to the gym, and it's too late to run / cycle outside, and it's great as a back up exercise. As someone else said earlier, it's going to be a whole lot better than doing nothing, and it can give you a pretty good cardio workout if you put yourself into it properly.
  • sashatranett
    Options
    i've definitely been looking into the games on the kinect and i really want one! the games im most interested in are dance central, ufc trainer, and the star wars game (not at all fitness related). there was another scary game that i saw at walmart that looked interesting (also not at all fitness related) but i love scary ****, and its gotten great reviews. but, i dont see how it could hurt. even if you've done your workout for the day, and you just want something to do to avoid boredom, might as well use the kinect and burn some calories while you're at it
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Its a heck of a lot better then doing nothing, thats for sure!

Agreed!
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I love Zumba for Kinect! Unfortunately my apartment is too small for it now though :(
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor to tell. It was $30 at Target on sale :)
  • JeriG75
    JeriG75 Posts: 6
    Options
    Does the Biggest Looser show how many calories burned?
  • lord_lethris
    lord_lethris Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I havent read any of the replays so sorry if this has been repeated.

I have higly recommended XBox360+Kinect for months now.
    Your Shape:FE is by far the best work out game/program. (as seen on "the Gadget Show Fitness reviews")

Without sounding to much like a PR geek, and to keep it short, I help run an online Media games site, I have alot of hardware indoors, and I can also say I have tested Fitness Programs on all platforms.

PS3 - Its ok, but you can only really feel the work out on your arms, and there is a moderate opertunity to "cheet" the program/game.

Wii - The Wii fit, in my opinion, is useless. My mate stood on it (yes, he is over weight) and it demorolized him and told him to get of because he was to heavy for its sensers to weigh him. Also told my "skinny" daughter of 10 (at the time) she was overweight... she is tall... and to stick a thorn in her side, made her Wii-Mee charicter "fat". There is also a HUGE margin to cheat the system. Its demorolising, clearly "weighted" for the Japaneese populating (as they are naturally slim and small people) and, well, just plain useless.

XBox360+Kinect - Simply Excellent, very small margin to cheat the system, as it tracks most of your joints, even jogging on the spot excersise you have to "lift those knees" to register a jogging step. and skipping rope excersise you have to rotate your arms AND jump in time to register a "skip". Sit ups track your motion and position to see if your doing it correctly. Also, if your doing it wrong, unlike the "Wii Fit", it DOESNT demorolize you, it instead "encorages" you to do it correctly bu explaining "Whilst your excorsising" how to do it right, for example it may say "Don't forget to lift those knees! thats right! well done, great!", or "We'll practice this again in another session, we'll work on lifting your arms a little further, you'll get better the more you practice"

Only yesterday (hence why I found this thread) I was playing Starwars Kinect with my son. We did 2x3hr of playing (rested half way for lunch). He loved it, we both broke out in a sweat, we must have burned a fair few 100 cals each as the game has alot of flaling with your arms (upper chest, shoulders, biceps), kicking with your legs (calf, theigh), jumping and ducking (abdominal excorsise)

(sorry for any bad spelling, no spell checker in this, and i'm useless for spelling)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    The HRM that comes with EASA2 can that be worn on any game to help log calories ?
    Nope. It's only for EASA2. The company that made the tech for EA also makes a standalone armband-type HRM called the ePulse2. I would recommend the Polar FT4 or FT7 (or better) first, though. You can use them with any game or any non-game activity.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    We have a Wii system, and have the sports one. I was experimenting the other day and found Wii boxing. I was so determined to beat my score, that I continued to play for about 30 minutes. I was exhausted and sweaty when I finally quit. Two days later, I could barely move my upper body. The workout I got was amazing. I highly recommend it!!
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Our Kinect has kept me wanting to exercise. And I HATE exercise!
  • sabriel
    sabriel Posts: 46
    Options
    I love mine. I use dance central mainly, it tells you how many calories too. Which is great. :)
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's not the exact same but I have a Wii and I use Wii Fit and a Zumba style game on there as well. I'll alternate between playing both those games and riding my exercise bike. It's been working for me, especially since it's helping me change it up so my body doesn't get too used to one thing. That said, I don't plan on using it the entire time I'm losing weight. The games are on loan from my mom, and once I get my weight machine moved up here, that will probably be what I spend most of my time working out with.

The best way I can put my feelings about using the video games to work out, actually comes from what my brother told me. "They work fine and they're fun, but they work at their very best when you do other things alongside with it."
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    Yes! I had one and sold it because you have to have ALOT of room to do it in and I have a really small living room :) Its awesome though :)
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good way to get moving and burn calories, but if you are looking to get into the best shape of your life then you definitely shouldn't rely on it as your sole way of exercising.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Kinect. I use it on days I don't feel like working out. It's fun, intense and waaaay better than Wii fit. I have Fitness Evolved 2012. The reason I like it more than the Wii is because i don't have to stop in between every exercise. I can do a 14-40 minute program that has me dripping sweat and practically crying by the end :D