Hummus

Options
NurseMisty
NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
Okay, so I tried it. I got roasted red pepper hummus. I couldn't find it at Walmart but I happen to see it Aldis. I don't like it. I tried a bite with raw red bell pepper. My questions:

Did I just get a bad brand or flavor?

Should I try it with something else?

Where is Tami...the queen of hummus:laugh:

Replies

• jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What brand did you get? I usually buy Athenos, and I have found that I like the Spicy 3 Pepper better than the Roasted Red Pepper. Also, it did take some getting used to because of the texture for me. I had decided not to buy anymore, but also not to let my tub of hummus go to waste. By the time I finished it, I was hooked!
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    with pita, mmmm hummus. maybe you need to acquire a taste for it. me, I am officially addicted
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    :laugh: try the Sabra brand, plain. Its soooo creamy, dreamy. I love it, too much. :laugh:
  • roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Options
    I get mine at Costco. YUM!!:happy:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I get the Athenos brand... its super yummy. I really like the garlic one... that with some pita bread or pita chips is fantastic! The first time I had hummus I had it with some pretzles which was yummy too. I still gotta try it with veggies.

Mmmm now I'm craving hummus. Does take a little bit to aquire the taste of though.
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I think maybe it was the dipper? Try wheat thins, celery or warmed pita, and give it a few tries. I think Aldi quality is generally as good as other brands.
  • lilelephant
    Options
    im kinda confused about hummus...lol everyone says its healthy...but it has so many calories...and when i start eating hummus i cant stop :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hummus with a little feta cheese and olive oil yummy...im greek tho it runs in my veins haha
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm sorry you didn't like it. It could be an acquired thing or maybe the texture threw you? I get the Josephs brand roasted red pepper. It's delicious!

I like it on everything. Veggies and crackers.
  • kfromalaska
    Options
    Sabra is the BEST. it doesnt have a 'hummus-y' texture.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    im kinda confused about hummus...lol everyone says its healthy...but it has so many calories...and when i start eating hummus i cant stop :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hummus with a little feta cheese and olive oil yummy...im greek tho it runs in my veins haha
    I think it's a healthier option because like peanut butter, it's a more natural source of protein. So, yes...the calories can add up if you don't portion control it....but having some hummus with some veggies or whole grain crackers is going to fuel you and is a much better option than a lot of processed junk out there..like a 100 cal pack!! :wink: :tongue:
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I buy Tribe's Sweet Roasted Red Peppers. I think it's absolutely delicious!
  • tucson2
    tucson2 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hope you'll try this hummus recipe, adjust the ingredients as needed.
    Adapted from: http://mideastfood.about.com/od/appetizerssnacks/r/hummusbitahini.htm

Ingredients:
    1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
    1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
    1/3 cup lemon juice (depending on taste)
    2 tablespoons tahini (important ingredient,don't substitute, but may be omitted)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons cumin
    dash of red pepper flakes
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
    Drain chickpeas and save liquid from can.
    Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor.
    Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas.
    Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

Variations: Add pine nuts, cilantro, sun-dried tomatoes, or roasted red peppers to recipe.

Serve with: Cut vegetables, crackers, pita triangles.

To make pita triangles: Cut up some pita bread into triangles. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Suggestions:
    Serve with garnish of parsley or sprinkle paprika on top.
    Serve with thinly sliced carrots and celery tucked together on the side.
    Use as spread in place of mayonnaise.

Storing Hummus:
    Hummus can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
    It can be kept in the freezer for up to one month.
    If the hummus appears to be too dry, add a little olive oil to it.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the fountain of health plain hummus. I loooove dippin pita bread in it, but wheat thins are good too. Lately to cut back on the calories I've been dipping carrots and celery in it. Just play around with different things to dip it in and I think you will find a lot of combinations you will love!
  • NurseMisty
    Options
    I'll try my kashi 7-grain crackers with it tmrw and see what happens...thanks everyone!!
  • NurseMisty
    Options
    Quick update:

It WAS my dipper!!! I like it with the Kashi cracker.:happy:

Thanks again everyone!