Could this be Real?

Options
DrG3n3
DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
I just need some validation that I am doing this right and not going crazy!

I am obese but I have my goal weight set at 150 (whereas 137 is the highest for healthy BMI for my height) while I currently weigh 182.2 and I decided to strength train mostly so I could train for an obstacle course challenge I have coming up in June and I lift moderately heavy. I currently strength train 3 days a week and do cardio 2-3 of the other days (running, or kickboxing, or something of that nature) and make sure to take at least 1 complete rest day.

I weighed myself 20 days ago and then again this morning, knowing my weight may not change with this new focus. I went from 182.5 to 182.2, which is a huge bummer scale wise, but according to my measurements I've lost 1.5 inches on my hips and 1.75 inches on my waist. I also lost 0.25 on my neck. With these new numbers I seem to have gone from 44.3% body fat to 41 and my lean body mass went from 101.7 to 107.5. Is that really possible with what I've been doing?

I'm 5 ft 2 and 23. I eat 1540 cals on my off days (BMR) and eat ALL of my workout cals MOST of the time. Occasionally I will be about 200 under on days that I'm busy and don't even get dinner til almost bed time. My macros are 40/30/30 and I try to get my protein all the way to the 30. I drink about 16 glasses of water a day as that's all I drink and I just crave it. My deficit according to MFP's numbers is 380. I plan to do NROL4W next month and will pretty much stay with these numbers as they are pretty close to what I calculate with the book. I may bump my cals to 1600 so my def. is close to the 300 the book recommends.

My question is, could this be real? Could what I have been doing for 3 weeks REALLY have worked? I just don't know if it true. I know the numbers may not be really accurate, but the change is there. I'm ok if it takes me FOREVER to get down to a healthy weight as long as my body fat is still going away. I hate posting a thread like this but it's so hard seeing the small change on the scale, and it's even harder to think I may have been doing something kind of right. Thanks so much for your help guys!

Replies

• DrG3n3
    Options
    Bumping this if you don't mind. I'm just hoping someone with real experience would chime in :) I just want to make sure this is right and I'm not going to start heading in the wrong direction.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Seems like you are on the right track. Using measurements is not always accurate for figuring out body fat, especially in people who are at the extremes (quite short/quite tall/quite athletic/obese).

But you've got numbers backing up that you're losing inches and you're eating enough to keep the fire stoked.

/round of applause!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong to me. Assuming you're relatively new to weight training, it's possible for you to lose fat and build muscle at the same time.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    I am new, so I know this wont keep up long, but I like seeing that while I'm still a chubster, I've lost some inches so I've got to be smaller somehow.

Thanks guys. I'm not even worried about building muscle as much as I want to keep what I have and lose that pesky fat.