2 ounces of pulled pork is how many cups?

Options
I am having Montgomery inn bqq pulled pork tonight. It says 2 ounces equals 1 serving. Would 2 ounces be 1/4 cup?

Replies

• sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's going to work out like that because of the difference between fluid ounces and um, regular ounces. Not sure if they're called anything different. As an example, a cup of flower doesn't weigh the same as a cup of sugar.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Exactly. You can't compare liquid measurements to weight measurements which is what you're doing with that method.

But 4oz of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. So for your 2oz is about the size of half that. You'll have to do your best to guesstimate unless you want to lug a kitchen scale with you to the restaurant :tongue:
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    You'll have to do your best to guesstimate unless you want to lug a kitchen scale with you to the restaurant :tongue:

On that note, you can certainly get a travel-size scale and stick it in your purse or something if being exact is really important to you.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would guess about a half cup.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Two ounces of pork is going to be more than 1/4 c. Closer to 1/2 cup I would think.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    What's the best way of putting meat into a cup?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Depends whether you puree it first or not. :devil:
  • danimarie1782
    danimarie1782 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Weight (oz.) and measure (cups) are not the same thing so can't be compared. A cup of flour and a cup of water weigh considerably differently even though they are the same measure (cup).

Two suggestions: buy a kitchen scale or measure your pork in a cup measure. My advice is go get the scale, I bought mine at WalMart for $19 and it is worth it.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    For comparison purposes, I think that 2oz of pulled pork would be close to 1/4 cup, maybe a little more.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    well, if 1 oz is 1/8 cup then 2 oz would be 1/4 cup and so on and so forth.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, ever see 2oz of salad greens? Not 1/4 cup!!!!

Having worked in a resturant for 10 years I know that the average size pork sandwich is 4-6 oz. (weight, not stuffed into a cup)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    This is going to surprise some of you, but there are 2 types of measuring cups - one for liquids and one for dry ingredients. 2 ounces is 1/4 of a cup.

If you'd rather have a visual, the palm of your hand is comparable to one serving of meat.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If 2oz of greens can be stuffed into a 1/4 cup my husband will love you. He HATES greens. However, try as I may, it just won't happen. It is a weight vs volume thing.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    umm...salad and pork are 2 totally different things. No one would try and stuff that into a cup unless it was coleslaw. Pork can easily be put in a measuring cup, hence the question asked.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for ways to input the data into your diary, there is an Austin Blues pulled pork that is 2 ounces.

When doing a search, there are always different ways they are measured, by cup, by ounce or gram. Just keep looking until you find the closest thing to what you are eating.

It is good to remember that 28 grams is an ounce, so there is ever the gram option, just change it to 1 gram and time the ounces by 28.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
  • Sir_Loin_of_Beef
    Options
    According to Aqua-Calc Conversions & Calculations, 4 cups of shredded pork would weigh 1 kilo, or 2.2 pounds. Even an English major like myself can do the math from there.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    but can an english major such as yourself look at the time stamps on the posts?
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    This is going to surprise some of you, but there are 2 types of measuring cups - one for liquids and one for dry ingredients. 2 ounces is 1/4 of a cup.

If you'd rather have a visual, the palm of your hand is comparable to one serving of meat.

But there are also 2 types of ounces. Fluid ounces measure volume (how much space something takes up) Yes 2 fluid ounces is a quarter cup. Both type of cups measure volume.

But there are also ounces by weight. Some things like water will be very close to the same number of ounces by weight and volume. Other things like flour will be vastly different. I don't know where on that spectrum shredded pork falls.

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

What? You'd have to have a dry measuring cup for every conceivable ingredient then as they are all different densities. You can't measure a weight of pulled pork in a cup. Get a scale.
    If it's always made the same way, with the same sauce and the same density of meat then at best you could guesstimate after having weighed it and seen how much volume it fills in the measuring cup.