When you run...

Replies

• runwithitwerewinning
    runwithitwerewinning Posts: 39 Member
    running is my thinking time. i work out my whatever problems i've got going on. i'll think of funny things that have happened. i daydream. a lot of times i'll listen to a podcast and get into what they're discussing. and sometimes I'll just think about not wanting to be pudgy.
    Ï hated every minute of training, but I told myself suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion"- Muhammad Ali
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Chasing girls.

And how fast I have to be to catch em all, like pokemon.
  • ShawnaRaeDunn
    ShawnaRaeDunn Posts: 59 Member
    I used to "run" but haven't in years. Then what would keep me going is, "dang girl, keep running so you can look like one of those sexy sweaty chics running down the street in those movies!" Today I actually just started jogging, slow jogging. But something is better than nothing. Now I think about my breathing while waiting for the timer to go off. Oh, yeah I jog in my house. I seem to do better that way.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    I picture myself as the the Thoroughbred that's running for the Triple Crown, with me in the saddle. It helps me to forget the pain and concentrate on the finish line!
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Often, I just let my mind wander--rehearse conversations I need to have, think about what I need to do, how I'm feeling,etc.
    I also try and think about how far I've come and how I never thought I'd be here and how much stronger my body is now.
    That said, I also often look down to my Garmin and think: Omg, how have I not even gone another .10 miles since the last time I looked down?! (And, alternatively, sometimes I'm surprised that the distance is flying by).

Sometimes I play mental games with myself and say things like "In a mile... you can walk for a minute." Then, I either get to the mile and walk or make another bet that I can go even further.

Sometimes it's a struggle mentally (and physically) to keep coming and sometimes its not. Sometimes I listen to music and focus on that, sometimes I don't, you get the point.

I think that's what's cool about running--every time is a little different. So, my thoughts change. That said, after every run, I always think about how much I don't regret getting myself out the door!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    what are you thinking about?

Running is new for me and it is tough. Today when I was about to give up, I started seeing all the pictures of my MFP peeps with their race bibs at the ends of their races, my friend Jess who has finished the C25K and is now starting to run races, my brother who is training for a marathon in the fall...Of course I was also thinking, "man I'm sweaty," "can I finish my run?" "I wonder what other people think when they run," and "I AM GONNA DIE if i don't stop running now."

Oh - and you never know when your pictures that you post here inspire other people - like me. Keep them coming...

What do you guys think of?

I usually think of how disappointed I will be if I do not complete what I set out to do.

If you really and truly feel "at deaths door" sometimes during your run, that will often be to going out too fast, just slow right down, even if it is barely to a jog until you recover a bit and then you can fasten up again.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    I try to focus on other things or i use the time to think about things going on. Anything but concentrating on the laps or the time. Otherwise it makes it feel longer.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    i think about a variety of things: work issues; issues we are facing with our daughters; repairs to the house; how i'd like to tell off someone who was rude to me the day before (I can't really tell people off at work, so i tell them off in my head). I listen to music too, and I try not to think about running because that's when I start to doubt myself.
  • The bubble bath after this run is going to feel so good.
    If I up my pace, I'll be done faster.
    It's only 3 more minutes...
    I have to pick up Nolan's (my youngest son) skateboard form the skate shop tomorrow...
    I wonder if we have any Frosted Mini Wheats left.
    I hope Owen (my oldest son) did his homework.
    Did I turn off my curling iron?
    Where does all of this sweat come from?
    I can't believe Hope and Bo are still a main storyline on Days of our Lives.
    Did I pay the cable bill?
    Phillies better figure out how to hit the ball...

LOL, yeah, absolute randomness...plus, I watch tv at the same time. :laugh:
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    I am doing C25K and usually spend my running time thinking "I'm gonna die..." "How much longer?" "when will I get the hang of breathing properly?"
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    I think about the most random crap of all time. "I wonder how many people use this trail every day?" "I wonder how big my dog is going to get?" "I wonder how tall my son's going to be?" "Is my butt jiggling a lot?" "What do I want to eat for dinner?" "When's the next crawfish boil going down?" "I want a beer later today."

Also, I sort out things going on in my life. If I've had a bad day, if I'm stressed, if something's bothering me...I hash it all out in my head, like my own private therapy session. And then, if my run gets really tough, I think "you're gonna look SOOOOO HOT if you keep doing this."
  • When I hit a hill I stoke myself up and tell myself I am a "Mountain Goat". I think of the quote "No decision should be made while running uphill" and that includes changing my planned route so I always run to the top of the hill. If I want to quit I think of A League of Their Own "It's supposed to be hard, if it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great!". I crank the music and decompress and think through my day and what is stressing me out. It is my alone time that is just for me (I work about 80-90 hours a week so getting out for a run is a treat).
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    I usually think of positive reminders for myself. Or, get distracted by something I see.

But, mostly I count the songs that play while I run. Since I am new to running and training for a half marathon this has been much less daunting than knowing I want to run for 50 minutes straight, etc. I run with a water bottle, so I use my fingers to help keep track of the songs I have been running for - then focusing on my breathing and my stride (or foot fall).

I tell you - it was a VERY happy day the first time I broke 30 songs!

Edited to add: My other favorite things to remember when I am running is the running prayer some one told me:

God if you pick them up, I will put them down. Amen.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Mainly I listen to music and think about the choreography for my step classes.
  • I stopped running with music years ago and now I LOVE the quiet or running in the early morning, at sunrise. Sometimes even the birds are too loud for me and disrupt my "zen"! I like to look at peoples houses and critique their landscaping. Or look at other people's outfits and critique what they are wearing.

^^THIS. And what I'm going to eat for the rest of the day thanks to my calorie burn :happy:
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    At first I think, ok, one foot in front of the other, I'm committing for x amount of miles. Then, it's oh Jeez, am I gonna make it? Then Where's the bathroom? Ok, in 15 more steps I'm gonna drink. Ok, in 15 more steps I'm gonna sprint. What time is it? What mile am I on? Where's the bathroom? When can I drink? Am I gonna make it? then when I get really tired, I think "I'm strong. I'm fast. Fat girls don't run." I'm always counting something.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    I have no idea what I think about...lol...I don't think I think of anything. I feel totally relaxed after running:bigsmile:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    What I love about running is that I can actually stop thinking. I'm so busy thinking all the time. When I run, my mind clears, I love it.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    I sometimes jog out at night. during the winter when it snows I sometimes think about flying through space pretending I am the Millenium Falcon from Star Wars. I'll even listen to the Star Wars soundtrack on my mp3 player. ( yes I am a geek/nerd why do you ask? :bigsmile: )

I think I love you.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    the wind and the trees, hearing birds chirp... i try and clear the mind and just breathe in and breathe out.