TDEE with HRM???? Could it be true?

Options
So.....For kicks I thought I would calculate what I'm burning on average in 24hrs.

I wore my HRM for 60 min just doing what I normally do, which is 85% sitting on my behind, the other 15% is just basic standing household activities. I multiplied that calorie burn by 24(hours) And it pretty much matches my TDEE. I find this fascinating. Interesting.

Has anyone else tried this?

Replies

• TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just posted about this and am curious as to it's accuracy.

When you say it matches your TDEE....what did you use previously to calculate your TDEE?? A BMF or FitBit or just estimate?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it, but that IS fascinating :)
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    bump

the whole TDEE has me tearing out my hair ... i've tried the calculators online and most of them give me a different number
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options

the whole TDEE has me tearing out my hair ... i've tried the calculators online and most of them give me a different number

Ha! Try figuring out your TDEE when you use a wheelchair! ;) I don't know how much different my daily calorie burn is now from what it would be if I weren't in a chair... and the FitBit and BMF won't work accurately on someone that uses a chair. <SIGH> What's a guy to do??? :)
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So.....For kicks I thought I would calculate what I'm burning on average in 24hrs.

I wore my HRM for 60 min just doing what I normally do, which is 85% sitting on my behind, the other 15% is just basic standing household activities. I multiplied that calorie burn by 24(hours) And it pretty much matches my TDEE. I find this fascinating. Interesting.

Wouldn't this come out a little high since 6-8 of those 24 hours would be sleeping?
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    When I did my experiment It was only about 20 calories less than my Sedentary TDEE
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is that unless you are exercising HRM aren't accurate for calories burned as other non movement things could affect your HR - having a fright or being turned on for example there are a tonne of other things - so it's likely not to be that accurate.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Wouldn't this come out a little high since 6-8 of those 24 hours would be sleeping?
    Your metabolism doesn't stop when you sleep. Even the amount it supposedly 'slows' is minute. Which is why you can eat late despite the myth of not eating after 8pm.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Your metabolism doesn't stop when you sleep. Even the amount it supposedly 'slows' is minute. Which is why you can eat late despite the myth of not eating after 8pm.

So you're saying that one hour of cleaning,etc, she's burning as many calories as when sleeping?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

So you're saying that one hour of cleaning,etc, she's burning as many calories as when sleeping?
    No but sitting and watching TV or talking on the phone is pretty comparable. The OP said 85% is sitting on her behind.
    Which is considered 'sedentary' when doing the calculation.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options

My point was that it was only 20 calories less than my sedentary TDEE. My activities in that hour were equivalent to the % of activities i would normally do on a sedentary day; 85% sitting, 15% basic standing household activities. I was not including any strenuous activities. However, if I were to add in my activities, then i end up at my lightly active, or moderately active tdee, which of course is relative to what i was doing that day. :smile:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump

No one really knows exactly how many calories they're burning. All the tools out there are just to help you estimate it, and they won't necessarily agree. Pick one and try basing your calorie intake on that, and if your weight changes aren't quite what you expected, make small changes that work for you.