Friends, anyone? DASH?

Options
Hi,
I've been on here before, and am starting back again. I have been dealing with a kidney issue since last fall, and I finally had surgery a few weeks ago. In the interim, I couldn't exercise and gained a few pounds. My activities will be limited for the next few months, but I am finally able to get out and walk again.

I have dealt with kidney stones and pre-hypertension for twenty years now (I'm 38). Through my recent kidney issue, I learned much more about these conditions and have finally decided to change my diet to help fix those issues. I'm on MFP to track food for the DASH diet, and to hold myself accountable for what I eat and my physical activity.

I'm looking for some friends to help me along this journey.

Thanks!

Replies

• JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I are working a lot of the ideas from the DASH diet into our regular diet. It seems like a good non-fad diet that helps do what it says it will do (not necessarily drop weight, but help with BP, etc) and that's what we're looking to stay on top of. Best of luck to you on this! Feel free to add me.
  • peprmintpt
    peprmintpt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi new friend. I've been doing dash for about two weeks, takes a lot of menu planning for me, but iam loving the food iam eating and very full and stuffed after a meal. Feel free to take tips off my food diary. Mines a little different because iam a nightshift worker but u could eat the same just break it up over the day. I have a lot of evening snacks to get me thru my night. Iam usually at my goal for sodium or a little over 1500 mg. I also recently had surgery, hysterectomy for preventive cancer measures and doing small exercise but lost weight doing strictly dash and no exercise at all the first week.
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hope your recovery goes well. I've been following the DASH diet since April 16 for high blood pressure and I'm pleased with the results so far. The past 10 years I have been dealing with hypertension and obesity issues. Every two to three years I make several trips to the urologist for kidney stone issues.

The MFP trackers and community are great tools and have helped keep me keep on track.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    I struggle with high blood pressure as well and just recently joined MFP to help me track my sodium levels as well. It has been an eye opening experience learning how many foods are loaded with salt. I'm still struggling and trying make adjustments, like they say, "it's not a diet, but a lifestyle".

There is a forum group here on MFP that I joined called , "hypertension kick punch". several of us (myself included) are following the Dash Diet.