Woman dies drinking 2-3 gallons of Coke

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I'm surprised she didn't have scurvy (arg)

I knew I made a mistake when I quite smoking. I did it the wrong way, I should have increased my smoking and decreased my food consumption . . . duh!

I am too. It's not difficult to get scurvy from a diet like this. I'm shocked she made it to 30 with habits like that.
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Now all the people are going to come out of the woodwork saying that water can kill you too. Of course this article didn't mention any other kind of health problems this women had. She also smoked. She could have had a flurry of heart problems already.

Yeah, I know. I thought I'd preempt the COKE = DEATH crowd.

The article said they suspect that she died from very low potassium caused by excessive fluid intake.

thats probably right. low potassium can cause an array of cardiac anomalies, including life threatening dysrhythmias and cardiac arrest.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I hope those children are more health concious than their mom. It's so sad, but so true, that excess anything will kill you. It clearly wasn't Coca Cola's fault that she over indulged and didn't take care of herself.

Poor children, that was such a young age to lose your mom over something so preventable.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Good thing we are all going to be healthier when we die than she was when she died.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/20/11303027-cola-habit-behind-death-of-30-year-old-new-zealand-woman?lite

Who drinks 2-3 gallons of coke per day and smokes 30 cigarettes per day... THIS woman did!

Apparently, she didn't eat much and drank between 2.1 and 2.6 gallons of soda per day. She also apparently smoked over 30 cigarettes per day. Dead at age 30.

Sad, but insane.

24 PINTS of coke??? I think it would not have mattered what liquid it was she was consuming, even plain water would have killed her in the end drinking that amount.

Regarding smoking 30 cigarettes per day, that is more common that you think.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Can you see the sh1tstorm coming when Lustig gets a hold of this article?

lulz
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    just got all her nutrition from drinking Coke

Coke is of course famous for its protein and fat content.

She died of malnutrition, not from the coke but from the lack of other stuff.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    How are we skimming past the fact that she was 30 years old with EIGHT children???

This is what caught my eye too, lol. Poor kids...
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    When I was a busy college student I would sometimes substitute a Coke for a meal. I know it's a terrible thing to do, but in terms of calories you get a lot of bang for your buck and I didn't have to leave the study hall to get one out of the vending machine.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    Now all the people are going to come out of the woodwork saying that water can kill you too. Of course this article didn't mention any other kind of health problems this women had. She also smoked. She could have had a flurry of heart problems already.

All depends exactly how much water, people think they can drink it all day everday but this is not true.

Anybody does not believe me, Google Water Intoxication and see what you get. It can be fatal.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    just got all her nutrition from drinking Coke

Coke is of course famous for its protein and fat content.

She died of malnutrition, not from the coke but from the lack of other stuff.

According to the coroner, she died from low potassium from excess fluid intake.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    When I was a busy college student I would sometimes substitute a Coke for a meal. I know it's a terrible thing to do, but in terms of calories you get a lot of bang for your buck and I didn't have to leave the study hall to get one out of the vending machine.

But you weren't drinking 2-3 gallons of the stuff per day. That's the difference.

I think the takeaway point here is that Coke can kill you, if that's all you drink and drink to an absurd excess (oh, and stop eating and start smoking a ton of cigarettes).
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Sounds like a co worker I had...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Now all the people are going to come out of the woodwork saying that water can kill you too.
    The Coke spokesperson already said that. "We concur with the information shared by the coroner's office that the grossly excessive ingestion of any food product, including water, over a short period of time with the inadequate consumption of essential nutrients, and the failure to seek appropriate medical intervention when needed, can be dramatically symptomatic."

It's true, though. That kind of excess is a bad idea no matter what the item is. I remember seeing a report about a little girl who drank apple juice all day long and hardly ate any food at all, and she got very sick, was not growing properly, etc. The mother was on the program saying that she would never let her child drink apple juice again after it caused such problems. Sheesh.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Can you see the sh1tstorm coming when Lustig gets a hold of this article?

lulz

HFCS kills! Here's proof!

/sarcasm
  • Sweet_Potato

But you weren't drinking 2-3 gallons of the stuff per day. That's the difference.

I think the takeaway point here is that Coke can kill you, if that's all you drink and drink to an absurd excess (oh, and stop eating and start smoking a ton of cigarettes).

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to imply it was the same thing!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member

Well, the Coca-cola company sells water too, so could you sue them both for death my Coke and water poisoning?

let's hush it on the smoking talk, everyone knows those are filled with vitamins.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

Yeah, I know. I thought I'd preempt the COKE = DEATH crowd.

The article said they suspect that she died from very low potassium caused by excessive fluid intake.

Just a reminder, if you're going to try to live on cola and cigarettes, make sure you have some potato chips or french fries. It can save your life!
  • Elizabeth_C34

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to imply it was the same thing!

Yeah, but don't feel bad about the coke in lieu of meal thing. I think all people who've pulled all nighters in college have done something similar once or twice (some of us more). I did it too.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Now all the people are going to come out of the woodwork saying that water can kill you too.
    The Coke spokesperson already said that. "We concur with the information shared by the coroner's office that the grossly excessive ingestion of any food product, including water, over a short period of time with the inadequate consumption of essential nutrients, and the failure to seek appropriate medical intervention when needed, can be dramatically symptomatic."

It's true, though. That kind of excess is a bad idea no matter what the item is. I remember seeing a report about a little girl who drank apple juice all day long and hardly ate any food at all, and she got very sick, was not growing properly, etc. The mother was on the program saying that she never let her child drink apple juice again after it caused such problems. Sheesh.

Right. If you consume just one thing (or even a couple of things) and nothing else you're not going to get proper nutrition and will eventually run into problems. There was a similar story a few months ago about a teenager who ate nothing but chicken nuggets and the occasional french fry. Fortunately she didn't die but was rushed to the ER after collapsing.