Nutrition issues while pumping breast milk

Options
My daughter just turned nine months old, and since her birth (much like I also did when my son was a baby), I pump breast milk for her. She gets no formula because I am able to pump out enough milk for her (and I consider myself very lucky to be able to provide this resource).

I am pretty confident in knowing that each ounce of breast milk pumped equals out to approximately 20 calories burned. So, during a typical day for me (and yesterday, I pumped 41 ounces for the day), I burn somewhere from 750 to 850 calories.

While it's nice to have the extra calorie burn, it is also kind of a nutrition nightmare. It is incredibly difficult to meet my calorie goal for the day without going way over on my other totals (fat, carbs, sugar, sodium, etc...). I also worry about what will happen once I stop pumping milk, although that won't happen for at least another four months. It will be difficult to transition back down to 700-800 less calories a day, and I know I ballooned back up 30 pounds more after I stopped pumping milk for my son.

I have heard about some people eating certain baby foods (and I, believe it or not, actually like the taste of many of them), but I don't know if there is any downside to doing that.

I will gladly take any suggestions from anyone who has been where I am now or has the nutritional background to explain what I should be doing. Thank you all!

Replies

• fionaface
    fionaface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am seriously confused here. Three hours have gone by, but nobody has responded yet. I have posted topics before and received multiple responses within 5-10 minutes of posting. Is my question really that difficult? I thought for sure that some people here would have been through what I am trying to go through now and could offer some advice.

Please help, if you are reading these messages and know something. Thank you.