Sugars!

Options
So! I used to never eat a lot of fruit. But I am finding myself trying to incorporate it into my diet more. But, when I put the information in here I was like DANG!.. that is a lot of sugar! Thoughts? What do you do to incorporate fruits but not so much sugar.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fruits are sugar, fact of life.

I eat low sugar / low carb berries and stay away from most fruits.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't worry much about sugars from fruit!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    the sugars in fruits are natural so I dont worry about them.
  • kravmom
    kravmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to stay away from refined sugar. If you keep your fruit intake to 2 servings a day, you should be fine.
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    if you're worried about carbs, then yes, you should be wary of how much fruit you're consuming. like yarwell said, berries are your best bet.

if you're just looking to put healthy things into your body, then don't stress too much about it ;)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I eat the fruit and don't worry about the sugar overage. In my opinion, it's more important to eat the fruit and get those vitamins, minerals and nutrients than it is to stick to some arbitrary number. Processed sugar is the one I pay attention to.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I don't care about the sugars from fresh fruit either. Natural sugars are just not a concern...besides, all that fiber helps keep you REGULAR! :bigsmile:

Flush it out and always drink a big glass of water with your fruit! :glasses:
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing my sugar numbers go over because of fruit! Since it's natural sugar, I try not to let it bother me too much. :ohwell:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    True, fruits are sugar, but they should not be viewed as bad sugar. They are natural sugar that comes with a ton of fiber that makes it so the body is only able to absorb a fraction of the sugar. The sugar you want to track and avoid is the processed sugar. I eat Apples, Oranges, Pears, Pineapple, and Cantaloupe a LOT and have no spike in blood sugars like I do with processed sugars. Fruit juices should be avoided as that is just all the fruit sugar with none of the fiber. So feel free to enjoy fruit as much as you want within your calorie goals.
  • Paige_me
    Paige_me Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Raisins, Grapes, and Bananas.
    Apples & berries are the best for you because the sugars slowly work themselves into your system.
    I have an apple and 200g of strawberries almost every day.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the natural sugars in fruit.

Avoid any added sugars or foods containing added sugars.

I would only caution that you not replace veggies with fruit because they taste better.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Funny you would have this topic on today as I was just reviewing my sugar intake and was blown away at the amount of sugar I was consuming. The suggested 55 g of sugar seemed low considering my banana was 1/5th of that!

I am feeling a little better after reading everyone's comments though and am thinking that the sugar already in the fruit isn't so bad after all as the pros outweigh the cons.

Funny thing...I used to crave chocolate and chips are a lot of other junk foods but I found that today (after making a real effort to eat healthier) that I was actually craving an apple! Must be an NSV! lol